removing counter balance? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-05-2018   #1

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
removing counter balance?

Found some discounted cataract oars that came with the rope and counter weights. I have doubts that I'll like the counterweight that much and was wondering if anyone has removed it from the oar?

CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2018   #2

Salt Lake, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I have a pair of counter balanced Cataract oars and wanted to remove the weights. I contacted the factory and they said the weights are epoxied in and can not be removed. Wondering if someone has found a way to remove them.
Altahills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018   #3

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I haven't pulled one out, but there was a handle at DRE that you could swap out for a non counter balanced one to make it counterbalanced. Presumeably you could do the opposite and pull out the counterweighted handle and replace it with one without the weight.

I removed a handle recently from a broken oar, and it just took removing the screw, applying a bit of heat with a heat gun and then putting a smaller tube into the oar shaft and hammering it out from the back side. Some oars have a plug partway through the shaft, so it might be a bit hard to remove the shaft with those.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2018   #4

Kalispell, Montana
Use a big piece of pipe (long, not heavy), or a 1.5" piece of round bar stock...1'-2' long.

Slam that thing in there like a giant slide-hammer and bang the handle out.

I haven't tried it with a counterbalanced handle, but I have done it with a non-counterbalanced Cataract handle. It works.

The counterbalance is a big steel rod, about 1.125" diameter that is epoxied into the handle. I think Cataract's standard counterbalance is about 4lbs. Half as much would feel better to me.

@Electric-Mayhem, I think hammering it out with a pipe worked better than the heat gun. We tried it both hot and cold, and it was the hammering that did it.

I'm sad you're not replacing the woodies with more wood!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018   #5

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I would buy new handles or try to swap with somebody. As a last resort cut the steel rod off at the start of the wood and you will get rid of about 2/3 rds of the weight. I had the opposite problem my counter balance weights fell out of handles on my second time using.
Old 09-06-2018   #6

Kalispell, Montana
Cataracts don't have screws or wood.
Old 09-06-2018   #7

Moab, Utah
I removed a CB handle from a Cataract oar using the method described by MT4Runner. It was a pain, but they came out without damaging the oar shafts. You will destroy the CB handles, though (at least all of the plastic/coating on the bottom of the handles).
portermoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018   #8

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Cataracts don't have screws or wood.
Some Cataracts have wooden handles. I ordered mine that way.
Old 09-06-2018   #9

Kalispell, Montana
I learned something new today!
Old 09-06-2018   #10

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Rob View Post
Found some discounted cataract oars that came with the rope and counter weights. I have doubts that I'll like the counterweight that much and was wondering if anyone has removed it from the oar?

I don't get it. You bought something you don't really want and now your trying to mod it? Why not just get what you want, why pay for something you don't?
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote