Removable skeg on the bottom of raft/cat tubes - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-20-2016   #1

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Removable skeg on the bottom of raft/cat tubes

OK, before you all get your feathers ruffled up...I'm talking about those long pushes like Cataract canyon, Deso etc. when the boat wants to keep turning sideways in the wind or with some speed.

like this kind in the pics where I can reach down and simply slide them out before any rapids or obstacles.

Has anyone here every tried such a thing??

ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2016   #2

Great Falls, Montana
OK like this.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skeg.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	13249  
Old 12-20-2016   #3
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I've never tried it... my only concern... is that it might be a bit small for a large raft.
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2016   #4

Salt Lake City, Utah
I have a couple of Sea Eagle Fast Track inflatable kayaks with those on them (14' long). It's incredible how straight they track with them on. I took it off once to reduce my draft and it was amazing what a difference they made. I bet one on each tube for a raft or cataraft would make a big difference.
bcpnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016   #5

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Oby, another idea. just make a fixed rudder. one lopro one piece of pipe about 18 inches long and one triangular piece of aluminum. Fix it to the back of your cat frame where it can rotate upwards if you would happen to hit a rock with it, don't overtighten the lopro and it will just swing up. Don't have a picture, mine is at fishing camp. But they make a cat track great with a motor or oars. If you don't have a way to weld alum it could be bolted to the pipe. once you deploy it for the first time it might need a little tweaking to get it correct. This can be done by bending it or sliding it across the yoke.
Old 12-21-2016   #6

Great Falls, Montana
Thanks Curtis. I think I actually like your idea better. I can make it to raise and lower so that it would be easier than the skegs. Plus I like any idea better than gluing the base to my tubes.

So, you actually did this?? Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 12-21-2016   #7

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Oby, yes. I have made two of them. One was square, It seems to work better but it is on a twin tube cat of my uncle's.. They track better any ways so it is hard to tell if it is the shape or the boat accounting for this. But anyways a 10 to 12 inch square will work great. You could use a tee fitting and then the adjustment would be simple. I just used a Lopro because it is what l had on hand. I don't tighten them up real tight and can rotate it up out of the way. A fellow could build on for a raft pretty easy also but not as easy as a cataraft.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016   #8

Poundtown, Wokastan
Paddling Since: 420
When its all windy, I drop the air pressure in my floor, max out the tubes, move my row frame forward. Helps me on windy days.

Some time a drag bag full of beer in the current is the best i can do.

Let us know how the skeg works..
Old 12-21-2016   #9

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
aire aluminum skeg kit

I have this skeg kit on my tomcat tandem kayak for when I go to the lake and fish... it works great, with two people paddling you can go fast enough to actually troll for fish. Aire Inflatable Kayak Skeg Kit - austinkayak.com - Product Details
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote