Relief valve leak question - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Buena Vista, Colorado
Relief valve leak question

Have a small leak from where the top of the valve meets the floor fabric. I'd like to pull the valve out and clean it all up. Is the flange/nut on the inside free to move or is it somehow attached to the inside of the floor fabric? Just wondering if this is a job best done with extra hands or not.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Gal...46_7023-XL.jpg

bmiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
If it's a A6 valve the inside part is not attached, but it won't go far since the boat will be deflated and the floor will hold it in place.
Duckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Thanks for the quick reply. I added a link to a photo of the leak. When the valve comes out is there a gasket or something that could be replaced?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
There is no gasket but I've alway thought there should be one. I make one for my own raft.
John the welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by John the welder View Post
There is no gasket but I've alway thought there should be one. I make one for my own raft.

What did you make it out of?
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
You may have already tried but if its leaking around the valve and not out of it you may be able to give it a 1/8 turn and snug it up. I have never seen one not seal on an NRS if it was seated properly and tight.

If you do have to pull it, pop off your silt trap first and see if the valve itself is leaking, they almost always are. If so, clean that while its apart.

Loosen the valve with the floor inflated and then deflate to take it out. The "nut" won't go anywhere if its deflated.

When you re-seat it make sure it lines up in the marks that are there. Also make sure you don't pinch an i beam. You can snug it up and then inflate before doing the final tighten. If there is an i beam in there it'll pop out when you inflate and then you can tighten.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

Cork that floor. I hate those valves.
jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

I did loosen it and tried to reseat it, still bubbles. Headed out for a few days on the green next week, will remove it after. In the meantime it's good for a day or 2 which is ok for now.
bmiller59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
The gasket can be made out of 1/16" to 1/8" thick soft rubber. Buna or neoprene or something similar.
John the welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Cork that floor. I hate those valves.
Hear hear!
God I hate a fucking PRV.
Something that manufacturers install to cover there ass from a warranty claim, in case stupid people pull their boat out of the water, and leave it in the sun when it’s a hundred degrees out.
I always plug mine, and take responsibility for my own I-beams.

« JPW Rafts? | - »