REC Oar tower height RMR 10.5 or similar - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-17-2016   #1

littleton, Colorado
REC Oar tower height RMR 10.5 or similar

Hello buzzards. Any recommendations on oar tower height for RMR Storm or Hyside minimax?

8 foot oars.

I'm thinking 8 inch, but have seen some rigs that looked like they were using 10s and someone helpful on this forum already recommended the tens to me. Just wanted to get some more opinions since I'm new to this.

Mike

Mike N is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2016   #2

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
It somewhat depends on the height of your seat, and the oar length compared to frame width.

You want to be pushing or pulling with your arms at chest height, not too hi and not too low.
for my setup, the top or the oar lock is the same height as the top of my legs.

set it up in the garage and feel it out.
CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016   #3

littleton, Colorado
Thanks Rob.

I used to be a competitive rower in single and double sculls. In that situation you want the blade handles going straight into the top of your gut, but that's with a sliding seat and legs doing all the work.

So pulling into my chest (like beginning rowers always want to do, and have to unlearn) is going to feel really wrong. Taller towers might increase the length of re-learning curve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2016   #4

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
Mike, I know what you mean about pulling into the gut. When doing seated rows at the gym, that's where the bar ends up.
On a raft we have to do an equal amount of pushing, and we also need to be able to raise a blade pretty high out of the water when getting worked in a hole or something.

Unless you plan on having a high seat I really doubt you'll need tall towers.
CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016   #5

littleton, Colorado
Cool. I'll wait to get towers until I've measured a bit with the frame on and see what feels comfortable. I will check back in here to let folks know.
Old 05-18-2016   #6

Monte Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
I use 8" in my storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
SLVCampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016   #7

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
I roll with 8" towers on all my storms.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016   #8

littleton, Colorado
I've seen your setup Spider! (been lurking on other threads). Looks awesome! Gives me something to aspire to.

I ordered a lime green storm that I found in stock online (surprisingly). Cannot wait to get it and start tricking it out. Credit card melting...

Already my loveable deadbeat fishing buddies are asking when I'll have everything together so that I can get some practice on the sticks...while they fish.

I had a reservation already at cottonwood camp on the Bighorn for July. Now I can bring a new toy. Although I'd like her maiden voyage to be on the Poudre or the Ark. Or maybe the Blue below GMR. Although belaying a new raft down that hill would make me cry. Gotta get the first scrapes on it somehow I guess.