Rapid rig question - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-12-2016   #1

steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Rapid rig question

Looking at getting a getting a trailer from Randy but I've noticed that a lot of people have said they would lower the height on their rig. Just wanting an idea of how tall the standard is and how much you would lower it.

jkr61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2016   #2

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Been wondering the same, he told me if your wanting the side door to make the sides two inches higher than your tallest gear that you would pass through the side door. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016   #3

Post Falls, Idaho
I'd personally think around 20" that would give a side door opening of 18" high enough to pass most coolers. If that's not a concern the sides could be a little lower. It would frustrate if the height ended up just an inch too short for a future cooler or something. With a winch and roller I am not convinced that a few inches would matter. The rapid rig trailer is set at 20" sides for comparison.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2016   #4

Post Falls, Idaho
I've also thought about not doing the full top and instead having a dozen or so perpendicular planks that are adjustable. Think 1" steel tubing with an attachment that would allow them all to slide forward to the front when not in use. Doing it this way you could space the bars to allow taller objects to rise above (through) the deck. There's plenty of space under the bow for something to protrude say a cooler or dry box.

Old 02-12-2016   #5

I actually own a pickup so I had thought about going a little shorter because I can always put cooler and drybox in the bed of the truck but then I might as well just go with a flatbed style with oar storage underneath
Old 02-12-2016   #6

Post Falls, Idaho
Your gears better off in a pickup, less shock, dust...

I've got an SUV which is why I've considered the rapid rig style but I'm kinda leaning towards a traditional flatbed as 90 percent of my boating is day trips.

Old 02-12-2016   #7

I think you have three options, full height to allow dry box/cooler to go under, 6' or so just for a lockable oar storage type compartment, or flat bed. I need to measure the heights on my rapid rig since the questions keep coming up Mine is not lockable though.

Yes, flatbed is easier and faster but really you are talking the difference between 1 minute and 3 minutes to load it higher up. Winching it up does not take long enough IMO to make a meaningful difference, it's just easier to float right onto a flatbed. Storage needed would be a more important consideration to me. If i was a fishing guide going out everyday then maybe it would matter to me.

you kind of have the hybrid utility trailer deals like this too.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016   #8

Post Falls, Idaho
Perfect post Osprey I've considered them all myself! And at different times I've been all settled and then not. I wouldn't buy a rapid rig style if you go with low sides, at that point save half the cost and go utility style and make bunks.

Old 02-12-2016   #9

Thanks for all the response's! I think I'm going to go with the flatbed with oar storage so that I can use it for a snowmobile trailer in the winter.
Old 02-12-2016   #10

I think the key thing is whatever kind of trailer you use, it's light years nicer than doing the inflate, assemble, tear down, deflate, roll thing most of us started with. unless you don't go with any frequency. After that the details are gravy!

Feels like half the time I'm setting up others rigs since I'm always ready an hour before my non trailer brethren lol
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote