rafts: what to look for - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-27-2009   #1
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
rafts: what to look for

i am loooking to purchase a used raft and i have some questions what to look for... how old is too old... what materials should i be looking for...

i know to look at the color difference between the punture kit and the raft to help determine how much uv exposer the boat has had... what other signs of abuse should i be on the look out for

NoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2009   #2
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCo View Post
i am loooking to purchase a used raft and i have some questions what to look for... how old is too old... what materials should i be looking for...

i know to look at the color difference between the punture kit and the raft to help determine how much uv exposer the boat has had... what other signs of abuse should i be on the look out for
My raft is plastic and is 17 -18 yrs old and still holding up nicely. Normally I would say stick with Hypalon on older boats but my own is proving me wrong.

There are some great deals out there particularly this time of year.

What are you using it for? Do you know how big you want? What are your expectations?

For fishing a non-whitewater river a few times a year could be ( but doesn't have to be) a different boat than something to go run the Numbers in.

For me a 14 foot or so self-bailer would be perfect for most things, but I do 8-10 solo floats too, so I ended up with an old outfitter boat of 16 feet.

You do want to check out the baffles to make sure none are blown. Blow up diagonal (opposite) corners and make sure that the whole boat doesn't start blowing up. Check valve action with a spray soap bottle. Flip it over and look at the floor on the bottom
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #3
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
i would like to be able to put the boat anywhere where i take a playboat or ducky... browns,gorge,ltb,numbers....i live in foco right near the pudre but i tend to boat more down south... i would like to be able to run the pudre too... i dont fish... i just want to be able to boat with my girlfriend(i got her hooked this summer)and some other less experianced friends... so so far-check patch kit
-check the baffles
-spray the valves
-check the bottom
still looking for some more info to how long different materials last, its good to hear that your pvc boat is still holding up. i appreciate your input, any other advice would be gladly accepted

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2009   #4

C. Springs, Colorado
I'd watch for a 94 or newer 14' Avon, Hyside, Riken, or Maravia (in that order) with as few patches and repairs as possible. D rings also tell you a lot about how much use it's seen. Ditto on the soap spray bottle and the method of blowing it diagonally and all. The more I think about it.....I'd hold out for an Avon.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #5
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
i just seen an ad for a 14avon on this site... its cheep but its an 88ish boat. if you could take a look at the ad and tell me what your thoughts are i would greatly appreiciate it
Old 07-30-2009   #6

C. Springs, Colorado
The price is right and from the pictures and discription......I'd drive down and take a good look at it. The floor baffles are usually the first thing to give out in the older Avons.
Old 07-31-2009   #7
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
thanks for looking at that boat...im allittle scetched about its age but knowing what goes on those boats is exactly what i was looking for...thanks
Old 07-31-2009   #8
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
damn that avon was sold...i guess thats why he never got back to me
Old 07-31-2009   #9

C. Springs, Colorado
The three 14' Avons we bought from AW a few years ago were in the 93- 96 age range. The D rings and most of the handles were shot, but the rest of the boat was in good shape with few large patches. I replaced 10 of the D rings on my boat this Winter. We replaced 4 more on the other two boats. This brought them all back up to being in pretty good shape. We gave around $1500 each and felt it was a good deal. $850 would have been a steal. Keep looking and good luck.
Old 08-04-2009   #10
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
what do you guys think and aire and nrs tributaries...ive seen a couple for sale...what kind of water can these things handle...what about the superpuma...old or new style....unfortunately im not rich...money is gonna dictate what im gonna get...any feedback on these would help