Rafts and Sprinter vans - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-15-2017   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
Rafts and Sprinter vans

Are there two things going in the world that hold their value as much as rafts and sprinter vans? I'm in the market for used versions of both and after comparison pricing between what's available used and simply buying either brand new it's astonishing how much those two items hold their value. A high quality 20 year old well used raft is worth half or more as much as you could buy it for new today. Remarkably, some sprinter vans cost MORE used than they do new because people have fully customized them.

I'm thinking the smart move is to buy new rubber and find used frame, oars, boxes, etc.

canoedog87c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2017   #2

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I'm not sure that's any smarter than buying a good used boat that'll hold its value. In fact, you may be disappointed trying to fit a used frame/box package on a new raft.
Duckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
The most economical option will be a good used package that includes a boat, frame, oars, and as many other extras as you can get. The more gear that comes with it (dry box, cooler, straps, etc.) and the more dialed in and "turn key" it is, the better off you'll be and the more you'll save in the long run. There may not be much out there now, but once the season winds down you will see lots of good packages posted to the buzz or Craigslist during the fall and winter. I would look for a boat that is manufactured by a decent brand, isn't crazy old (maybe 15 years max depending on the material, preferably in the 5-10 year range), and is in good condition (holds air very well with minimal patches). Just be ready to make the drive and make a deal, cause good deals on good packages will go quick.
I agree that buying a new raft and trying to match an old frame to it may be frustrating and more hassle than it's worth. But then again maybe you can find something very adjustable that will work, maybe an older NRS frame or similar.
protechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2017   #4

NE, Oregon
I owned a sprinter that I used for rafting. I can't recommend a sprinter for this purpose. They do not have enough power to pull a loaded trailer well.
Most put ins and take outs are a $500-$1000 tow from the nearest mechanic that can work on them. Not all Dodge dealerships allow their mechanics to work on them. And AAA considers them a commercial vehicle and does not cover them.
They get stuck on a wet cow patty.
Ford's nock off van base price is nearly half of a sprinter. I don't see how they don't affect the used van prices going forward.
I will add that it was supper comfortable to ride in.
Willie 1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
Thanks, agreed. That's what I'll look for.
canoedog87c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017   #6
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
As far as vehicles go, I think you would be better off with a good pick up truck, you can always put a cap on the back, if you think you will be sleeping in it at put ins. Go with at least a half ton, you will save wear and tear, and probably get better milage over a 1/4 ton if you will be hauling lots of gear.
Old 07-16-2017   #7
Oh, THAT rock!

Billings, Montana
Paddling Since: 1971
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
As far as vehicles go, I think you would be better off with a good pick up truck, you can always put a cap on the back, if you think you will be sleeping in it at put ins. Go with at least a half ton, you will save wear and tear, and probably get better milage over a 1/4 ton if you will be hauling lots of gear.
What? Available pickups in the U.S. start at 1/2-tons (though their rated capacity these days is FAR in excess of 1000 lbs.) and go up from there .
Scott Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017   #8

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Ellis View Post
What? Available pickups in the U.S. start at 1/2-tons (though their rated capacity these days is FAR in excess of 1000 lbs.) and go up from there .
A chevy Silverado is a half ton pick up. A chevy Colorado is a quarter ton. It refers to weight of frame not hauling capability.
Old 07-16-2017   #9
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
To me, something like an older Tundra or an F-150 would be a 1/2 ton, a ford Ranger would be a smaller class, making it more of a 1/4 ton, but I may be wrong.
I've seen a Ranger Haul a lot of stuff ( we were doing 40 not to break springs), but I would go with something bigger for Rafting purposes.
Old 07-16-2017   #10

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis catman View Post
A chevy Colorado is a quarter ton.
A Chevy Colorado would be a decent rafting rig.