Rafting with a Telescope - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-13-2016   #1

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Rafting with a Telescope

Anyone bring a telescope along on their trips? I was thinking about bringing mine along this summer, but I am not sure how I should package it up to sit in my gear hump.

TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2016   #2

Denver, Colorado
I'd look at a Pelican box if at all possible? Or in a dry box? Or padded the heck out of in a dry bag, I can't imagine silt/sand/water being friendly to a telescope. I'd pack it in the center of the pile with plenty of protection on all sides? Not sure on value or quality of telescope, but those would be my considerations depending on price/value. I've brought along my spotting scope, Nikon, 60mm objective, 15-40x, it's packed in a dry bag in a dry bag with clothes all around for padding. Tripod goes with chairs on gear pile.
jonseim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1979
Pvc pipe, you can get it in all sizes. Glue end cap on one side an screw cap on other,pad inside as needed.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
wayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2016   #4

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Wayne, that sounds like a great low cost solution, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016   #5

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I've brought my 4 inch dobsonian scope on a couple trips, wrapped up in towels and pretty much took over my dry box. I can only do it if I have no group cooking responsibilities.

Remote canyons have dark skys but I find the narrow canyon walls and the disturbed hot air radiating from the ground really limit what you can observe. Don't bother unless Jupiter or Saturn are out.

I find it's more fun to do naked eye observing, using a green laser to point out constellations and tell stories from Mythology. People think you're a wizard if you look up when the space station will be passing overhead.
teletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne23 View Post
Pvc pipe, you can get it in all sizes. Glue end cap on one side an screw cap on other,pad inside as needed.
I'm not so sure I would trust high level instruments to a PVC screw cap simply stuffed in the gear pile.
DoStep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016   #7

Heltown, Montana
Paddling Since: 1993
I'll occasionally take a Celestron 8X17 in a dry box well sealed. Takes some space but I ditch a dry bag by lining the dry box with as much bedding shit as I can wrap or fit in. Also required is a small power source, that fits as well. With the apps nowadays you can identify on a star chart on your fancy phone and the scope basically finds it for you. It's definitely not for everyone but you do get the chance to see some wicked stuff in the lightless sky. I avoid taking risks on rivers with some sort of possibility of filling the boat with water. Canyon rivers are bad for the whole ordeal.
Billy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016   #8
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Bubble wrapped, inside a pvc pipe with end cap, inside a water shed?
Old 02-14-2016   #9

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
I would trust the pvc to be more water tight than nearly any box. I think that is a great idea.

Jim
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016   #10
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Bubble wrapped inside a pvc pipe inside a water shed inside a dry box.
Ya I think a pvc pipe with padding inside could work just fine, pvc with an end cap is water proof for water.

Tags
rafting