Raft Valve Replacement - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-15-2013   #1

Bisters, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Raft Valve Replacement

Hi there. Im trying to replace and upgrade my GFs valves on her lil' hyside raft. My question is about how I remove the old female valve piece inside the tube. I was told that you can force that half of the valve out through the existing valve hole, but I'm not having any luck w/ that. I really don't want to damage or tear the rubber, so, who's got some advise for me?

jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
it might get more response if you mentioned the valve types you are working with on your project. it's kind of vague on those important details.

this may help ... or not.....

https://www.nrsweb.com/shop/Video_Li...=391&loadvid=1

personally, i'd just call hyside to confirm the best way to handle it before snipping and gluing vs. listening to some anonymous interweb yahoo like me who only dabbles in raft repair when he has too.

good luck.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013   #3

Bisters, Oregon
The upgraded valves are leafield C7. The original valves are what look to be an older version, although I can't seem to find any info on them. The star shaped valve wrench for the C7 doesn't quite fit, it's very close though. The older valves have a more rounded shape to the notch between the star shaped points, if that makes sense. Plan B is to reach out to hyside. If anyone remembers these older valves or has replaced an entire C7, inner piece too, how'd you get that sucker out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013   #4

Bisters, Oregon
Damn

Just watched the video. Snipping and patching is what I was hoping to avoid. If that is the only option, well fooey. If there is a trick to avoid having to cut & patch I'm all ears. Thanks for the video clip...
Old 06-15-2013   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
sounds like the older b-7 valve?

personally, if you don't have damaged female parts to the valve, i'd just return the c7's for some b-7's and a b7 wrench and be done with it by just replacing the more wear prone 'meat and potatoes' male part. a 10 minute job and no damage.

i'd definitely be into knowing any tricks too. you could break apart the old female valve with some work but doesn't help getting the new one in there, of course.

anyway, that's all i got. good luck.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote