Raft trailer roller - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-27-2017   #1

Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Raft trailer roller

Trying to do some modification to my trailer. Need to add a roller to the back a would like to get a nice metal one like you see on most trailers. Also looking to add a winch. Does anyone know a company that sells the rollers? Or a company in CO that does raft trailer modification?

rogerrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2017   #2

Dolores, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
There's a ton of info on building rollers on this forum. I built a metal one this winter and it was really easy. Use 1 1/4" EMT for the main roller, and put two of these bearings in the ends httphttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BBOIEA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then just mount it on two gate hangers and you're set. Probably cost $30 for parts and took about 30 minutes to install. It's strong enough to fully support a loaded gear raft when winching onto the trailer.

As far as the winch, I bought a 2,500 pound two gear one with a brake and a buddy and I welded a tower on using some scrap metal. It's really beefy and I love it. I'm sure any machine shop or fabricator could easily weld a winch tower on, and depending on what type of trailer you have there are some prefab winch mounts that go on the tongue.
b.pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017   #3
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Ok. I searched trailer rollers the other day myself and didn't actually find that much.

What is EMT? Does it come in different thicknesses? Will this go full span on a 7 foot wide trailer? What kind of gate hanger? Seems like there are a metric shit ton under google.

Obviously that bearing has a 5/8 id but the gate hangers are galvanized and I wonder how tight the specs are.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2017   #4

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...5984_200635984

I have two of these (one for each side of my trailer) and they have been great insofar!

T.O.Mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017   #5
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Electrical Mechanical Tubing. You can get it from your local hardware store for a reasonably inexpensive price, standard length is 10' I believe. The gate hangers are basically the big beefy hinges like ranchers use to build a livestock gate with, maybe some one that is better with posting pics could help out, a picture will make way more sense. If there is a little play in between the "spindle" and bearing, that's ok.

I used the heavier galvanized pipe from my local Ace Hardware, with wheelbarrow Bearings, and it has worked pretty well, I had them cut the pipe to length and ream out the inside of the pipe ends till the bearings just barely fit inside the pipe.
The homemade rollers do not quite as good, or sometimes better than, commercially available rollers, I've seen some nice ones, plus some pretty badly designed commercial rollers. These are way cheaper/work good.
Old 05-27-2017   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 70s
somebody in Salida, CO builds them any way you want....I bet Riverboat Works in Salida would know....I have 4 of the above referenced Northern Freight ones across the back of my trailer...only slight problem is the wench webbing can get caught between/in the space between the center two rollers...a full across the back roller would not happen....minor inconvenience...I don't have pics easily available
CROE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017   #7

Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Just put a 70" one on my trailer from Roller Conveyors and Conveyor Roller Replacement Parts For Sale - Ashland Conveyor

It's a bit overkill at 2.5 inch diameter but it seems bomb proof. Did the Stainless Steel one with an upgraded bearing. Don't forget to buy the brackets if you get one from them. They can either be bolted to something or welded. Roller wasn't bad. Shipping is ridiculous.
Saffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017   #8

Grand Lake, Colorado
Classic Trailer Sales. On I-70 and Ward Rd. They have rollers and winches.
303-467-0601
Riverratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by CROE View Post
somebody in Salida, CO builds them any way you want....I bet Riverboat Works in Salida would know....I have 4 of the above referenced Northern Freight ones across the back of my trailer...only slight problem is the wench webbing can get caught between/in the space between the center two rollers...a full across the back roller would not happen....minor inconvenience...I don't have pics easily available
Ark Welding who you are talking about?
theusualsuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017   #10

Dolores, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
Ok. I searched trailer rollers the other day myself and didn't actually find that much.

What is EMT? Does it come in different thicknesses? Will this go full span on a 7 foot wide trailer? What kind of gate hanger? Seems like there are a metric shit ton under google.

Obviously that bearing has a 5/8 id but the gate hangers are galvanized and I wonder how tight the specs are.
EMT is electrical metal tubing, it comes in ten foot lengths. The thickness doesn't vary within each sizing of EMT. Just go to a hardware store and look at gate hangers that will work with your trailer. The bearing just kind of rests on the hangers on my trailer, it isn't tight and doesn't need to be. I JB welded the bearing to the EMT and it sits on the hangers which are bolted to my trailer.

This is the gate hanger style I used. They were about $5 each locally.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009YNZY3W...a-306701760391
b.pi is offline   Reply With Quote