Raft Trailer Repainting - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-14-2016   #1

Spokane, Washington
Paddling Since: 2008
Raft Trailer Repainting

I recently acquired a raft trailer that is in need of a few updates/modifications. Its a tire under 7x12 flat deck #3500 torsion axle with 14in wheels. It's pretty bare bones as I will be adding an under deck compartment for oars and welding stake pockets all around the outside as well as a roller and winch. After these modifications get done I will be repainting the entire trailer. This brings me to my question. Does anyone know where to get really, really good trailer paint? I am looking for something that I can lay on thick with a brush that will smooth out when it dries. looking for gray or black, semi or high gloss. The only thing that I can compare to what I am looking for is paint that would be used for heavy farm equipment. I want this paint to last and powder coating isn't an option. Looking for all the help I can get. Thanks.

grantc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2016   #2
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Maybe try a ranch supply store like tractor supply, also could look into industrial paints like are used on chair lifts. When I did installations for Lietner Poma, we used this heavy duty paint to touch up our tower terminals. Vary nasty stuff to apply, but holds up pretty well.
Also maybe whatever they use on off shore oil rigs, that has to be some good shit, dealing with salt water corrosion, might do well with the road salt.
Ship paint?
Old 02-14-2016   #3
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Caterpillar yellow.
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2016   #4

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
How about truck bed liner? You can buy the two part stuff at an auto parts store for $50 and will hold up better that any paint
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016   #5

Spokane, Washington
Thanks mattman, I found some gray that is going to work perfect from a tractor supply 30 minutes from my house!
Old 02-14-2016   #6

Meridian, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantc80 View Post
Thanks mattman, I found some gray that is going to work perfect from a tractor supply 30 minutes from my house!
I am doing some trailer rework and looking for paint options also. If I can ask, what did you decide on at Tractor Supply?
Mopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016   #7

Spokane, Washington
Mopdog: Checkout tractorsupply.com for a product called Majic All-Purpose Enamel. This stuff looks pretty promising.
Old 02-15-2016   #8

Conejos Canyon & Houston, CO & TX
Paddling Since: 1979
in my experience rustoleum works really well - some call it poor mans powder coat. you can get a smoother finish with spray, but roll on is thicker and seems to last longer. just make sure you clean and prime it before painting

roll on generally doesn't result in a smooth finish. there is an article in Hot Rod about how to thin it and sand between coats to get a smoother finish
crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016   #9

C. Springs, Colorado
The key is to buy an epoxy type of enamel paint.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote