Raft Trailer Questions? Any for sale out there? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-08-2005   #1

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Raft Trailer Questions? Any for sale out there?

I am looking to buy a raft trailer and have been told to stay away from steel because it is much heavier than aluminum. Is there that big of a difference? I have the option to buy a 5x10 Tilt that is made of steel. I am a midsize strong woman but not a power lifter! Any advice?

Or, are there any out there for sale now? I am in the Carbondale, CO area. Thanks in advance!

akblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2005   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Check this one:

http://www.fishcraft.com/Raft_Trailers.html

Lots of good features. A lot of money, but it sucks getting a cheap trailer that falls apart on you.....
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
An old snowmobile trailer will work fine. I've got one that I've had modified and put rollers on the back so I can load my boat by myself even when its fully rigged. Marshall Welding in Salida builds trailers and welds aluminum & can modify it for you. Just remember to file down all the sharp edges on the trailer so you don't slice yourself or your boat!

SYOTR,

--Andy
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2005   #4

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Does anyone know how much heavier the steel ones are?
akblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Seems like steel's about twice as much. I like my Aluminum trailer because I can pull it with my Subaru Legacy wagon (and a loaded boat, a couple of kayaks, and buddies).

--Andy
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Old 07-11-2005   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Andy, sack up and get a real vehicle. My truck does not care one bit if the trailer is made of steel. If you have an underpowered rig, or if you need to move it around the yard manually, then aluminum is the way to go.
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005   #7

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Hey Dave,

If I needed a REAL truck for work the way you do, I'd drive one. You've got a pretty sweet ride for taking the whole gang out to Westy and that's a perfect application for that behometh of yours. And during the week you can haul cabinets or table saws. If I had a big truck it would stay waaay too shiny and never haul a load of lumber or bale of hay. My Suby's not at all underpowered - it carries all that I want it to and when I'm hauling a half ton of gear and buddies, still gets over 20 mpg (down from its usual 25 - 27 mpg). Even loaded to the roof for a multi-day, I'm spending less on gas per mile than a big SUV taking a kayak up to the hills on a day trip & I can afford to drive to Westy by myself even if the rest of the carpool bails at the last minute.

Betcha we'll see $2.50+ per gallon again this summer...

-Andy

PS - The full-width rollers like on the Fishcraft may warp and fall off - get the roller in several sections.
Old 07-11-2005   #8

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
If you want to go el-cheapo minimalist style, get this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=35966

I have it, it works fine for small local trips. Bonus is that you can fold it up in the winter and roll it around on little castors to the back of the garage. It is a kit, however, and expect it to take a while to assemble. It is kind of a pain in the ass, but it is cheap. I know you get what you pay for, but it fits in my 1 car garage, fits my 13ft boat (at least good enough). There are ways to modify if you are pretty handy. It comes with stake brackets, so you could build a little deck and a box for paddle storage, etc. and then build out a larger surface on top. I just strap it to the cross members of the frame though.

Enjoy.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005   #9

i thought the shredder lived in the back of the 4runner??

hey AKB>>>>what are u thunking about buying
senorlinc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rafting