Raft Trailer People...what gives??? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-03-2011   #1

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Raft Trailer People...what gives???

OK, I've got one friend who is anal about the hubs on his trailer not getting wet and greasing them all the time etc etc...
I've got another friend who I doubt has ever done hub maintenance and puts his old flat bed trailer in the water all the time and then does 80 mph down the highway I know..not smart.

I've got brand new bearings in my hubs as of last May and never put them in the water on the boat ramp. The other day though, jacked the trailer up, spun them and one had some minor minor noise. So, I hopped on the highway and drove about 20 miles. One hub was cold to touch and the other was a little warm (mild luke warm)

One friend says "all my god you got to replace the bearings" the other says...."dude bearings are pretty bomb proof...you have to try and destroy them"

Who is right? What would you do.

Thanks,
Coon

SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2011   #2

Summit County, Colorado
CORRECTION: I did accidentally back the hubs into the water on the ramp for about 30 seconds by mistake and there was a little moisture in the cover.
Old 08-03-2011   #3

Hoback Nation, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1987
Pull the wheel off and look at them. Easy to grease, easy to replace,(if needed). Only requires dirty hands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2011   #4

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
It's a fine line in having the nut tight enough, but not too tight. The way I was taught is it's kind of a "feel" thing. Tighten it up pretty good to make sure everything is seated and then back it off and then retighten until it's just barely snug. That's the way I've always done it with success.
Pull the warm side apart and have a look and a repack.
Old 08-03-2011   #5

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
We've been tightening until we just get resistance, then backing off a smidge. Repacking twice a year now (lots of mileage). Friends say a little play is better than too much friction. It's kind of like flipping, you're always between a repacked/blown bearing. Either you do it, or they'll do it to you.
Old 08-03-2011   #6

Think about it, if you have any friction at highway speeds that hub is going to be so freakin hot you can't touch it. if it's mildly warm you are just fine. If you touch it and it's HOT then be worried.

Accidentally backing into the water once in awhile isn't going to create a problem. When I feel the hubs I also feel the tread. If you have too much play you will also get weird tread wear and create heat and friction with the pavement. I agree with the snug it up and back it off a touch approach. If that hub gets unacceptably hot you'll know it right off with a touch.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #7

Summit County, Colorado
Soooo............should I run out right now and redo the warm side or can I get a few more trips to the river on it?
Another words: Major priority OR put it on the to do list.

Thanks,
Coon
Old 08-03-2011   #8

Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Look at it this way, if your bearing fails on the road, your trip is shot. Most likely you are in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday night coming back from a long weekend. You might be lucky and the auto parts store is still open and has your bearings and seals, or you are s.o.l. and all your stuff is on a stranded trailer on the side of the road.
Bearing maintenance takes 30 minutes per side and gives you a season's worth of peace of mind.
If you've done a bearing set yourself before, get a spare kit and all the tools you need and run it. If you haven't then nows a good time to learn, in your driveway, with a couple cold beers. Spare kits cost around $20.
tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #9
Piscatore

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Skype™ to Rex Piscatore
Why take the chance?

"If you've done a bearing set yourself before, get a spare kit and all the tools you need and run it. If you haven't then nows a good time to learn, in your driveway, with a couple cold beers. Spare kits cost around $20."

Tallboy, I couldn't agree more, on both the minimal time to do the preventive maintenance and carrying a spare bearing kit just in case a bearing fails on the road. Why take the chance?
Rex Piscatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #10

welch, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1976
what about buddy bearings the grease cerk on the bearing cap I have installed those on my jet ski trailer and it is submerged frequently and no problems just a couple of squrits of grease and good to go
ranchman44 is offline   Reply With Quote