Raft/Trailer loading - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-06-2016   #1

BV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Raft/Trailer loading

I've built up a an old raft trailer with a roller bar / winch over the winter. Now playing with getting the boat up and down using these wonderful tools. I'm hoping for some help with people who have used trailers with winches before on ways/items to rig up on the boat to not exclusively use D-rings. Just being super careful taking the boat from the ground to the trailer really put a LOT of pressure on that D-Ring, only imagine there is a better way. Photos are always best, thanks for the advice.

EvanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2016   #2

glenwierd, Co.
Paddling Since: 05'
Hook your winch to the front rail on your frame.

I'd take that deal n crawfish, then drill that ole devil in the ass.
Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016   #3
Sponsoring Vendors

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I attach the strap to a rope loop on the main frame cross bar. I have a fully loaded three person fishing rig. D-rings won't cut it.

Old 04-06-2016   #4
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I have had to get creative when I have loaded my 16" cat by myself. The hardest part is lifting the front of the tubes onto the rollers without it rolling back down. One thing I have done that works is to attach my tow strap to both sides of the frame near the BACK with the tow strap running under. When the winch is clipped into the center of the tow strap and pulled towards the trailer, it is also lifting the tubes from beneath.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016   #5

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I have had to get creative when I have loaded my 16" cat by myself. The hardest part is lifting the front of the tubes onto the rollers without it rolling back down. One thing I have done that works is to attach my tow strap to both sides of the frame near the BACK with the tow strap running under. When the winch is clipped into the center of the tow strap and pulled towards the trailer, it is also lifting the tubes from beneath.
Pretty much this, just loop each end of a tow strap over each oar tower, run the strap under your tubes so it comes out under the bow, hook up your winch, and get a winchin.
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016   #6

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This boater knows how to load a heavy raft by himself with out damaging it!!
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016   #7

Salida, Colorado
attach a long sling to front D-ring. run it inside the boat through the self bailer floor with about 6-8" hanging out. Winch away it will lift the bow right up onto the rollers.
Old 04-11-2016   #8

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Say goodbye to that D ring

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016   #9
Donkey Punch

Southwest, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I have the exact problem with my boat rolling back unless the rear of the tubes are on dry ground.

Are you just using one big ass strap and looping it through your frame one one side, under the boat to the other side of the frame?

Any chance you could get a pic sometime of you loading your boat?

I just have the winch line to where I can grab it for a quick connection to the front of the cat frame while Im trying to keep the front of the tubes onto the rollers. PITA!
dfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016   #10

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
I am going to photograph this method and post it here- once I get my boat put back together for the season. If you run a LONG doubled strap from one oar tower, under that side of the boat, up to just beneath the bow, then back along the other side to the opposite oar tower- you have the strap that the winch attaches to. Adjust the length of that strap so that when you start winching it elevates the bow onto the roller at the back of your trailer. You may need to get it close (especially with a cat) and then boost it up onto the roller- it can get hung there until you dial in the right length. Essentially, your winch hook attaches to the point of a "V" which terminates at each oar tower. Because the V runs beneath your boat, the more you winch it, the more the bow elevates toward the trailer.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote