Last year I came to the realization that I was completely fed up with my current raft transportation set up. Ive always driven smaller trucks with toppers and never had an issue running out of storage room. I now drive a 4runner and realized very quickly that I over-estimated its ability to hold my gear. Long story short I needed a trailer and I did not initially have the funds for a new one. Here is the story of fixing up my $250 trailer! Im pretty stoked on it but would like some recommendations on what I could have done better, and some of your guys experiences with deck-rot and what you've done to avoid it. This is my first thread so bare with me!
When I got the trailer it was pretty simple. 6x10 frame with two sheets of ply wood for the decking and that oh so beautiful fake green grass carpet. I gutted the trailer in about 20 minutes. My plan is to construct a base frame for the deck out of pressure treated 2x4, deck it with good outdoor ply wood, and carpet it with a decent outdoor carpet-NOT GREEN. Oh, and probably throw a shady rattle can paint job on the frame!
After finishing the 2x4 framing I got my plywood cut to size and coated the side that would be facing the road with flex seal- I thought this might be a good protectant from all the debris the tires would kick up.(I was very pleased with the durability of the flex seal) Once the bottom was coated I realized I had only gone through about half of the flex seal i purchased so I decided to coat the top and edges of the plywood. -Hopefully my intentions work out
Everything is bolted down to the frame with 1/4" x 3" galvanized bolts and it is now time to carpet. I went and bought construction grade outdoor adhesive and a some lengths of aluminum carpet transitions to hold the carpet down. I knew for the sake of replacing the carpet in the future I did not want a single staple. I laid a couple perpendicular beads of adhesive, measured and cut the carpet, and put it in place. I then ran a 90 degree carpet transition(like at the top of stairs) over the back edge. A similar style flat transition went across the front. Lastly a rubber topped transition was laid going the length of the trailer perimeter. VERY CLEAN! Also wont be worrying about any snags on my boat.
I am very pleased with the way it turned out although I did put more into the trailer than I originally planned. It ran me about 400 in materials and a couple weekends in the garage with my dad. Let me know what you would have done differently! happy boating