Raft Trailer Advice? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-21-2011   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Raft Trailer Advice?

I'm looking for advice on what size & specs to look for in a flat-bed raft trailer.

We have a 15'6" raft and are looking to buy a trailer capable of carrying said raft inflated. We figure we're likely to use it more often for day runs on the Animas, etc. (we live in Durango) if it's inflated and on the trailer for instant gratification (instead of deflated, rolled-up and stored in the shed).

Questions:

* What length of trailer is the minimum ideal? (We're looking at 14', but wondering if we can get away with 12' and more overhang...?

* How high should the side-rails be? (NOTE: the question arises because the trailer won't be wide enough for the raft to sit on the deck below the side-rails. Instead we'll mount 2 x 10 boards on the top of the rails and the raft will sit atop that.)

We're thinking that we'll primarily (but not necessarily) use the trailer for day-use (since we have another smaller utility trailer that we could use to carry the deflated raft + all gear for longer trips). So we're noodling on whether to ask for higher rails (to allow coolers, dry box, other gear to be stored beneath; i.e. for transport to longer trips)... or just keep 'em low for easy raft-loading (and not worry about storing much gear underneath; i.e. just make it a day-trip type trailer).

Look forward to your input!

Cheers,
Gregor

Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011   #2

Mesa, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
10 ft. snowmobile trailer!!! It'll work.
snakester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011   #3

Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Trailer length

Gregor:

12 feet is fine. I ran a 16 foot hyside on a 12' flatbed for years. I think that generally as long as the flat part of the raft is on the trailer it is fine. The "kick" section can overhang without much problem.

By the way, hope you are doing well, compadre.

Dan C.
swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011   #4

Durango, Colorado
Is that you, Dan Chandler?

Holy cow, if it is... cool, man... hope you're doing well!

Cheers,

Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwater15 View Post
Gregor:

12 feet is fine. I ran a 16 foot hyside on a 12' flatbed for years. I think that generally as long as the flat part of the raft is on the trailer it is fine. The "kick" section can overhang without much problem.

By the way, hope you are doing well, compadre.

Dan C.
Old 05-21-2011   #5

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakester View Post
10 ft. snowmobile trailer!!! It'll work.
Thanks, Snakester... no concerns about all the overhang with a 10'-er???
Old 05-22-2011   #6

Mesa, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
Thanks, Snakester... no concerns about all the overhang with a 10'-er???
You can put almost 3 foot over the front on the tongue and you'll only have about 3ft hang ing out back But for your day trips its the cheapest way to go as there are lots of those trailers out there.
snakester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011   #7

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Invest instead in a nice tarp to protect the boat from rock chips and road debris that your wheels kick up