Raft trailer - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-18-2018   #1

Portland, Oregon
Raft trailer

I’ve read through as many posts as possible and have spoken to some friends, but I wanted to get some advice from here as well. We need a trailer to haul our new 14 Rocky Mountain. I really like (haven’t seen it in person) the Xtreme trailer out of Ogden, but I live in Bend. Anyone have any experience with these trailers? I’m trying to decide if it is worth driving 10 hours from Oregon to buy one. My other option is to buy an Eagle trailer from a local guy. For some reason I don’t like these as much, but I wonder if I’m simply over-thinking things. I know having a good trailer is huge, but I’m truly torn on this one. Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

paor is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2018   #2

Portland, Oregon
One other piece of info...the Trailer in Ogden is about three hundred less than the local trailer.

Thanks again.
Old 06-18-2018   #3

Central Point, Oregon
https://www.whitewaterworthy.com/pro...gory/trailers/

We’re in the Rogue Valley and built the strongest trailers in the industry! For a 14’ boat we recommend a 7x12. We can do rollers every 24” or just one off the back. If you ever think you might want to get 16’ boat it would be worth jumping to the 7x14’

Some people will say you don’t need all those rollers, to those I say, they said the same thing about self bailing boats.

Check out our Facebook page to see a vid of launching our 20’ maravia.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2018   #4

Cascadia, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
I'm in Portland and I'm in the market for a trailer as well. I'm leaning toward the Iron Eagle trailer. What is it specifically that you like better about the Xtreme trailer? They both look pretty similar. They both claim to have #3500 axles. The IE trailer claims it's a torsion axle, plus it has a Poly laminated deck as opposed to wood. That should make the boat slide better and be less maintenance. The IE also has an additional tie down rail welded on to the outside of the sides. Plus Iron Eagle is a local OR company so you get to support the locals. I'm not a big fan of those short winch stands like whats on the Xtreme. I think the higher the winch stand, the more it tends to lift up on the bow while winching. Personally, I don't see the Ogden trailer to be worth the extra drive. Ask them if its a torsion axle or a leaf spring axle.
speyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018   #5

Salt Lake, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I have an X Treme trailer that I purchased last year. I have only used it twice and am really pleased with it. It has a bomber roller and nice 2 X 10 decking. Sean is a great guy to deal with and will do any custom work you want. I had him add stake pockets and extra tie down points.
Altahills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018   #6

Portland, Oregon
I haven’t spoken to or been able to visit the Iron Eagle shop in town. The other option is an Eagle trailer (separate from Iron Eagle). I feel like to Xtreme trailer is better/stronger built, has a bomber/removable roller, and, this may sound ridiculous, but I loved talking to the owner. He was super helpful and informative. I haven’t found that with other shops yet. Xtreme uses a 3500 lb. axle, has 13 or 14 inch tires, and I feel like the winch is certainly high enough. Speaking of wheels, what would you all recommend for tire size? Are 13s too small? I do plan on stopping by Iron Eagle next week when I get back to town though.

Thanks for the input.
Old 06-20-2018   #7

Cascadia, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Yeah, I thought you meant the Iron Eagle trailer. Definitely check them out. They're out in Fairview on Sandy Blvd. There's also a dealer in Bend.

As far as the wheels goes, I'd go 15 if they fit. They'll cost you more, but I would pay more attention to the load rating/ply then the wheel size. Like are they 6 ply or 8 ply. The IE comes with a 13" wheel but it's a D rated 8 ply radial tire. The #3500 lb axle with 8 ply tires should be pretty stout.
speyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018   #8

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewater Worthy Equip View Post
We can do rollers every 24 or just one off the back. If you ever think you might want to get 16 boat it would be worth jumping to the 7x14

I would never ever own a raft trailer without a roller on back, so I'm willing to be convinced that all those rollers are worthwhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paor View Post
13 or 14 inch tires, .... Speaking of wheels, what would you all recommend for tire size? Are 13s too small?

Yes, 13" is too small unless you are doing a lot of local-only towing. 14" is minimum. 15" is ideal.

It's physics and geometry.

Let's talk tire sizes.
A common 175-80-R13 trailer tire is 24" in diameter.
205-75-14 is 26.3" in diameter
225-75-15 is 28.4" in diameter
7.00-15LT (light truck) is 29.4" in diameter
235-85-16 is 31.6" in diameter.

High school geometry tells us the circumference of a circle is π*d.
The circumference of the 31.6" tire is 99.27". The 24" tall tire is 75.39"
(99.27/75.39)-1 = 32%
75.39/99.27 = 76%

To roll one mile, the 16" tire will only make 76% the revolutions as the 13" tire. This is huge for your bearings, and also the tire.

If your bearings are good for a million rotations (just pulling a number out of my rear), then a bearing on a trailer with 16" tires will go 32% farther before needing bearing replacement.

Every time a tire flexes (squished on the bottom of the revolution, rebound the rest of the circle) it creates heat. The 16" tire has a lot more surface area to dissipate heat, and it's only making 75% the cycles.

So, back to our tire sizes...
205-75-14 should last 110% the life of the 175-80-13 tire, and makes 91% as many revolutions per mile

225-75-15 is 28.4" in diameter. 118% life, only 85% as many revolutions

7.00-15LT (light truck) is 29.4" in diameter. 123% life span, 82% revolutions

235-85-16 is 31.6" in diameter. 132% life and 75% as fast.

Yes, you're going to pay a bit more for larger rubber and steel, but you also gain weight capacity, lifespan, and peace of mind when you're miles from home. Run far away from those little 13" tires. At least invest in 14" tires, and ideally 15". I think 16" is overkill for a raft-only trailer.

There's also a good argument for using light truck tires instead of trailer tires, but that's probably a better subject for a different thread!
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018   #9

Central Point, Oregon
[QUOTE=MT4Runner;701859]I would never ever own a raft trailer without a roller on back, so I'm willing to be convinced that all those rollers are worthwhile.

https://www.whitewaterworthy.com/video-resources/

This is our personal trailer that has a 5200lb axle and the deck is 36" off the ground.

The standard configuration is a 3500lb axle is 205/75/14 tire/wheels and the deck is 30" off the ground.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018   #10

Portland, Oregon
MT4Runner...that was quite impressive!! Thanks for doing all the math and justifying why 13s are not the right choice. That will make me feel better when I get a trailer with 15s on it. Thanks!