Raft Storage in covered parking ambient temps - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-09-2018   #1

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Raft Storage in covered parking ambient temps

I have an opportunity to store my raft, trailer and all in a covered sort-of underground parking structure. I'm planning on storing it inflated but I was wondering if any buzzards out there know of any other prep or precautions I should take for it to weather a winter here in CO. It's an AIRE so it does have internal bladders if that makes any difference.

It will be covered with a car cover.

Advertisement

Old 09-10-2018   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
My SD Puma went through 3 Ottawa winters stored rolled in an unheated shed with no problems. Once the melt commenced I would move it into unheated garage (attached to house, therefore slightly warmer) for a few days, then into house overnight (with spousal approval). Unroll it on balmy Spring day in 50's to 60's range, inflate soft, and the next day it would be good to go anywhere. (Even well below freezing temps don't seem to affect inflatables unless you try to roll'em wet - and you go low enough, there is no "wet"...)
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018   #3

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
I store my raft inflated on its trailer in a partially enclosed carport next to my garage. I just 303 before it gets cold, and tarp once the snow flies. Never had any issues, and we get pretty cold in MT, too. Just make sure you don't have any straps hanging onto the ground - mouse highways.
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark