Raft Setup Far Far Away - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-16-2010   #1

little rock, Arkansas
Raft Setup Far Far Away

I've run across a raft setup on CL, but I'm geographically challenged. Is anyone in or near Corvallis, Oregon? Not even sure if the guy still has it, or if he'd be willing to do the Paypal and ship dance if he does. However, if I find that he does and is, I'd be grateful if someone could take a peek at it. Really don't care about the raft, but holy schneikes it's cheap. Might be worth it to take the raft if he wouldn't separate.

lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2010   #2

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I know people who know people if you don't find someone direct.

If you decide to pull the trigger, I can help retrieve the boat to at least Portland.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #3

little rock, Arkansas
Thanks brandbob. I'll keep it in mind. I have corresponded with the guy and I don't think the frame will work, but his price is so low I'm still thinking about it for all the other stuff I need. Right now all I have is a raft. Here's the ad FWIW. White Water Raft with Gear Frame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2010   #4

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
That looks like an old Canham Frame. They were very well constructed--brazed rather than welded, so the joints don't rust. Canham later became TMS Frames, and I think they are still in business in Vancouver WA. I don't know what makes the frame not suitable for your application, but it is a good frame. The raft, on the other hand, looks like an old Odyssey--a POS when new, and worthless now. But at $250 for the package, you aren't paying anything for the raft anyway.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #5

little rock, Arkansas
Seller says the frame is only large enough for a medium cooler and the rower. My trips will usually be multi-day and require more gear capacity than that. He estimates the size at 5'x6'. Think a mod would be feasible? Just seems like such a good price when you consider the oars, nets, etc.
Old 11-16-2010   #6

C. Springs, Colorado
Sounds like he cut the floor out of it which does make the raft basically worthless. Check on what it is going to cost you to ship it. That might be the determinating factor on if it is a good deal for you.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #7

little rock, Arkansas
Yeah, I don't even want what's left of the raft. All that would do is jack up the shipping cost. I just think that's a good price for all that stuff. That would just about get me outfitted. The questions are: Will he ship? Can I use the frame? It's tough to tell from the pics provided, but I think I might be able to wedge a cooler and large drybox in there parallel to the tubes. If so, I think I could make it work. Anyone ever done a private parties Paypal transaction?
Old 11-16-2010   #8

Oregon City, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lncoop View Post
Seller says the frame is only large enough for a medium cooler and the rower. Think a mod would be feasible?
Modification is feasible. I once took an aluminum frame, cut it in half, right down the center, and had 9" sections welded in to make it fit a wider raft and carry a bigger cooler. But is it practical? That's a different question. I guess it depends how much modification you're doing.
Old 11-16-2010   #9

Oregon City, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lncoop View Post
Anyone ever done a private parties Paypal transaction?
Yes. No problem with that. In fact, it's the safest way to do a long-distance transaction.

Why don't you ask the seller if he can get better photos of the frame--maybe lean it against a wall so that you can see how it looks from above. I don't like the idea of trying to squeeze a dry box lengthwise in the frame, and there probably won't be room enough to do that anyway. I have an auxiliary frame that was designed to carry an ice chest in a paddle raft. I had a similar frame made specifically to carry a dry box. I can put that on just about any raft in front or behind the main frame.

You can see the cooler frame in the front of my 16' Vanguard on a recent Hells Canyon trip.

Old 11-16-2010   #10

little rock, Arkansas
I asked him earlier for better pics of the frame, so hopefully he'll provide me with some. I like the idea of a separate cooler frame. I'll explore that. Thanks Mogur. Nice setup by the way. Jealous of the raft.

Tags
rafting