raft setup - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 03-01-2011   #1

whitefish, Montana
Paddling Since: 15
raft setup

I am new to the buzz as an official member. i love to look at other boaters rafts and the way they are set up, the gear they use and the enginuity that people apply. i am asking that the community post some pictures of their rides. kind of like a car show. maybe explain some of the pros and cons of the set ups that your working with or the gear that you are using. i know that i am always thinking of a better way to do something. i currently have a 130d that i use for long and short trips and of course i set it up differently based on the trip length and gear needed. thanks

paddlerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011   #2

whitefish, Montana
Paddling Since: 15
so here is my 130d that is fully loaded on the mfsr.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7290104.jpg
Views:	1561
Size:	555.2 KB
ID:	3232   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7290304.jpg
Views:	1995
Size:	787.5 KB
ID:	3233  

Name:	P7300263.jpg
Views:	1769
Size:	806.1 KB
ID:	3234   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7300270.jpg
Views:	5866
Size:	569.4 KB
ID:	3235  

paddlerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #3

Plano, Texas
Paddling Since: 1980
Here is my 14' Tributary on the Wild Salmon. The boys sit up front on a surplus "Medical Chest" (waterproof-almost equal to 3 rocket boxes) in between two drybags with the handles where the boys can hold them. The boys sit low up front, so big waves blow them back into me and not overboard. Two 6 gallon water jugs next to the drybags- brings center of gravity forward and mass outward; angular momentum, arms in, skater spins faster - weight outside, makes boat harder to flip. Same idea aft with the two rocket boxes. I sit on the ice chest, drybags in aft of raft. Keep your CG low by keeping gear loaded below or at tube level and equal weight distribution forward/aft & port/starboard. Raft pirouettes swiftly when rigged appropriately; in other words, screw the pouch, about to broadside a raft wrapping rock and you can "spin" off around it. Rigging boats isn't just about hauling gear, how you rig affects how the boat handles. When you get good at it, you start tuning the boat to the river for optimum handling. BTW, you can still steer a boat through a rapid with only one oar if you loose one and can't get it back fast enough. Used to run both pins & clips on my cat & raft - now pins & clips on the cat and sawyer cobras on the raft. Remember to keep your cam lock tails short, all tails short for that matter. Guess rigging is part of why we like running rivers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	14' Tributary.jpg
Views:	2511
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	3236  
h2ocst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Here's the Aire 156, in the CDE version, no longer offered. It is narrow and pointy.

The silver things on the side are 5 gallon corny kegs. I sure miss the Oasis brewery; they used to fill 'em cheap.

The shot is of Quartzite falls on the Salt. Had to drop an oar briefly.

I've ditched the high back seat, in favor of just padding the cooler to get lower down.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TFrank-R1-14.jpg
Views:	1387
Size:	896.5 KB
ID:	3239  

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Here's my setup for a 14' VG:

I run a DRE 4-bay frame with, from front to back: drybox, cooler, cockpit, DRE seat over zipper-top drop bag. Oarlocks with oar rights, Sawyer counterbalanced in photo, now using Cataracts shafts with Carlisle 8" blades and counterbalance (this is the prompt for someone who uses a "real man's" oars to chime in on the counterbalance or oar rights...).

The polka dotted thing hiding the cooler is a beach umbrella. Drybags and gear can go in the front and back. I have D-rings on the inside of the tubes in the bow and stern to lash down gear (yes, directly on the floor) since the boat's got a glued in floor (and no lacing to lash to). I do this among other things that are highly abusive to my boat which, as a Chinese-made 7-year old Vanguard constructed entirely of glued PVC, should have completely fallen apart by now leaving me with a pile of dangerously offgassing PVC strips and pieces in my driveway.

Thanks to the guy that posted directly above for snapping the photo.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #6

Boulder, Colorado
That picture was taken back when Andy used to put at least some gear on his boat. Note the empty water jug and empty buckets strategically arranged to make it appear that he actually has a gear pile.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #7

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
empty jugs and buckets in lieu of real gear - I like that technique.
jmcdannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #8

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
I roll like a junk show. The only things I'm missing are a goat on a rope and a clucking chicken in a crate!

TDA

Name:	DSCN3458.jpg
Views:	1314
Size:	733.1 KB
ID:	3240
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #9

legend
Here is my 14 footer that I rent out from my shop in boulder. I know the bimini cover may be uncool to some, but when you are sitting under it in the desert, it's the coolest thing in the world. Especially when you have kids. Shade is valuable. So, I love having this bimini and it really doesn't take up any space.
Nick Wigston
Whitewater Tube/CKS Rental Center
Boulder, CO
www.whitewatertubing.com
720-239-2179
N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #10

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
That picture was taken back when Andy used to put at least some gear on his boat. Note the empty water jug and empty buckets strategically arranged to make it appear that he actually has a gear pile.
The drybags in the front actually had wadded up newspaper and styrofoam packing peanuts. The reason the drop bag under the seat is bulging up is from the three beach balls that I bring along on every trip so it looks like I've got something in there.

Dave's always been kind enough to carry my beer and also my anvil collection in the back of his kayak for me.

RE:
Quote:
The only things I'm missing are a goat on a rope and a clucking chicken in a crate!
How about a rocking chair for grandma up on top behind the seat?

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote