Mountain Buzz banner

Raft Recommendations

12K views 55 replies 18 participants last post by  AbnMike 
#1 ·
New member here and as stated in my intro - trying to get back into rafting after a long haitus.

1: Family: 2 adults and a toddler.
2: Location: Western Slope, CO
3: Rivers: Gunnison and Colorado

Not looking to do any Class III, IV and V with the toddler and likely not even with myself/friends for a few seasons until I get some muscle memory built back up. Would be slow long floats on Class I/II from Delta, CO to Whitewater, CO or through Grand Junction to Loma, CO area.

Looking for a self bailer, and looking to have a frame and camp, as well as fish so ability to be configurable from two guys fishing (work buddies), to two adults (wife and I) and a toddler spending all day or overnight.

Also don't have a huge budget. It's in the $5k or less range so I need to buy used.

What's for sale right now in my area are the following:

1: Dave Scadden Dragonfly XT2 Signature, NIB, never used. (oars, seats, storage) $1500. I've read a lot of these and wouldn't consider if I was doing heavy rafting but that's really not what's in store for us for the next 3-5 years. This is the cheapest and comes with everything we need.

2: No Name 18'x8' with 24" tubes, self bailer, frame, box, cook box, cooler and 10' Carlisle oars. Looks to be much older (frame is galvanized) and I think 18' is way, way too big to handle for just us, let alone just me if I go out without the family...but it's $2200

3: 16' Saturn self bailer w/trailer. Frame, Oars, Baskets paddles, $3000. I have read some reviews on Saturn and know they're not "the best" but I'm not even an amateur rafter at this point anymore.

4: Aire Super Duty Puma fully rigged 14': diamond plate floors, sawyer oars, frame, everything but the trailer $5500.

5: 14' NRS with frame, dry box, oars, small mouse chewed damage with patch $5500.

There are others that without frames/gear I'd have to build as they don't come with frames, etc, so I'm really hoping to find something with a frame to get me/us in the water. We moved here last year and since the baby was a....baby....didn't do any water, but now that she can walk, listen, sit, and wear a PFD we're wanting to do at least some day trips of floating and fishing and I need to do some overnight camping trips to regain my sanity.

My wife has never done any rafting at all.

Thoughts?

I usually go two routes: Rush and buy the first thing I see, or endlessly obsess over every nuance, making comparisons, trying to get something for $5 less, etc, etc and miss out on everything as a result.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Personally I wouldn’t even consider the first three, the last two have some promise. If you shop around and budget correctly you could get most of a new setup for about $5000. Look at RMR, and star (recently purchased by nrs, their outlaw line now), get a frame from rowframe.com for about $500, dry box about the same inexpensive cooler and oars and your almost there. That may stretch the budget with the other little things but gets you awful close new.

#3 ·
I'm a big believer in 16' boats.
There aren't many places that a 14'er will go, that a 16'er won't. However 16's provide some capacity, comfort, stability that a 14 will not. 18's are overkill for most tasks.

I would hold out for a good deal on a good quality boat, vs a bargain model. Although, I could see buying a bargain boat with a good frame, using it for the short term, then finding a better boat, and swapping out\selling the bargain model.

Good luck, happy boating!!
Ben

#5 ·
see my posting for the 156aire and some relaed gear as a good base to start from.
c156R AIRE self bailer 2 thwarts, foot cups. No patches on the water just a few times in the last 8 Years? Comparable new $5,600 my price $3,500.
Other gear priced at 50% of new price
NRS cat frame new $700
NRS stern fishing seat mount $200. Has never been used.
Casting platform new $150. Has never been used.
Low seat and mount $100
4 Carlisle paddles $40
Flat day rowing frame $400
Located in Bellevue Washingto
huck morgan

#6 ·
Hey Mike, welcome to the Buzz and WCO.

I totally agree with Critter re. the boats that you're looking at and, looking at new boats from the likes of RMR and Star. Be leery of older PVC economy boats; Star, RMR, and even Sotar had problems with glue failing on early models. Dave Scadden and Saturn, run! Older Hypolon boats fair much better. I would definitely consider 10yr old (or older) models from Hyside, Avon, Achillies, NRS. Aire and JPW (primarily cats) are PVC but have a solid rep and history.

It's a buyers market for used boats right now as people are needing to liquidate some $ and at the same time realizing that their expensive floatie toy might not see much action this year. Used boats are popping up here and on CL pretty frequently right now; be patient. Don't forget to budget for a trailer, you're going to want it. Rigging and derigging for day trips gets old really fast, especially with a young family.

Lastly, re. rivers that you are looking to float. While the Gunny between Delta and Whitewater is indeed a nice class I,II float, the take-outs are a total bitch. Two adults, a 14' raft with frame, not gonna happen without tears. The better bet is from Pleasure Park towards Delta (lots of take-out options) better fishing too as it's above most of the AG.

#7 ·
Buying #1 option is like throwing $1500.00 in the river. The material Scadden uses is thinner than some of dry bags I own. (light weight is one of his selling points, go figure.) You'll be patching holes every time you hit a rock.

I would lean toward the RMR that others are suggesting. I'd also choose the NRS over the Aire....depending on the age of each raft and the quality of the gear that comes with each one.

#8 ·
I put together my 14’ RMR rig with a DRE frame for right around $5k and could not be happier. Granted, it was offseason when I bought, but it can be done. Call Bobby at RMR directly and see what he can do for you.

Of the five deals posted, I agree that only 4 and 5 are worth considering. Personally, I think 14’ is a great size for your purpose. My wife, our 10 year old and I use ours for day floats to multi-night trips.

#13 ·
Don't be afraid of bucket boats. People get all wrapped up in having a self bailer. I'd rather have an old bucket Avon or Rogue then a new PVC self bailer.

Think that 14ft Hyside for 5500 should be in the "worst deals out there" thread. I just sold a NRS Kodiak Cat with two DRE dry boxes and a Canyon cooler, counter balanced ours Grand Canyon ready for 6000$

Theres a older Hyside with frame in the classifieds for 1400$ depending on its condition might be a good start. There's a 16ft Rogue in Durango on Craigslist for 2200$. Its overpriced for a bucket but if you could work a deal it would be an amazing boat. My 16ft Rogue bucket cost me 600$ my 18ft Rogue with a NRS self bailing floor was around 1400$. Just bought a 14 Avon bucket with dry box,cooler oars and frame for 1200$.

#14 ·
Bucket Boats

I second the bucket boats opinion.Especially for what you want it to do. I bought a really nice older NRS 14 fter for $1700 with frame, oars, straps, cargo floor, cargo net, 105 qt igloo cooler, bowline, throw bag, etc. Just needed to buy a dry box, eco groover set up and fire pan. 100 days on that baby and she's never let me down! 22,000 on Hells Canyon (2 bilge pumps going) to low water Lodore. When not doing overnites i put a couple of swivel seats on the front with a drop bag, 3 Scotty fly rod holders and she's ready for Deschutes trout and steelhead. You could save yourself a few thousand bucks.

#17 ·
My buddy just bought that 16 foot hyside. I stopped to check it out this afternoon before I ran slaughterhouse and it is in pretty good shape for its vintage and has a nice older style DRE frame and came with three Carlisle Oars and an older 120 qt cooler. It turns out it pays to pay attention and he got a hell of a deal!

#19 ·
lol, yeah, that Saturn deal seems a little suspect and I’d want better pics of just the raft, too.

I’m no big fan of RMR but allot of folks seem happy with them. There’s a demo and blem page too. Beats the crapshoot of buying used off of Craigslist,ect.

https://rockymountainrafts.com/demo-blem-boats/

Certainly can get on the water under 5k with them and then just build on it with more gear as money becomes available.

#24 ·
Dude, you’re buying a frame and oars with no idea what boat it’s going on ultimately. The $350 highback seat means the seller is a lying dickhead, as well. And what happens when you get the raft you actually want and it’s wider or narrower than your “great deal” frame and the oars are too long or short? Not much savings there.

If you’ve got a line on a good 16’ Aire then get it, measure it up, and buy a frame that’s going to fit it for sure. Oars, too. A new, stripped down basic NRS frame and some new, cheap Carlisle oars fitted for you and your spending the same or less money on a quality, adaptable, expandable frame set up....that FOR SURE fits your raft too. And less dinking around with used crap and sketchy sellers.

#25 ·
Yes the Saturn is garbage and the gear is not junk just way over priced for 2000$. No way that boat is a Saturn it looks more like and old Udisco or Campways. You can build a frame like that for less then 500$ using Speed-rail fittings. Only way it cost 1750 is that the meth they were on while building it cost 1500$.
Check out Facebok Marketplace there is a few older Hysides and a Legacy that are not to bad, a real Saturn for 1000$ and a Aire for 3900$.

#28 ·
Is the Gunnison passable past Whitewater like on to the Redlands Dam behind the cemetary at the Energy offices?

I don't have to get out at Whitewater, and I have seen that takeout - seems weird there's such a huge lot there but the takeout is under the bridge. There has to be a story behind that, seems a shame to have that lot but such a crappy take out. Whitewater is literally 2 miles from my house though so was thinking that.

If there's a better take out down river or after it joins with the Colorado I can do that no problem, too.

#31 ·
They retail for $4,499. $2600 would be a great deal if any of the original 10-year warranty is left.

Wait, with a frame? If it's at all decent, $2600 is a great deal with or without the warranty.

The D series is a sporty but wetter ride than the R series or Trib boats. Like that Puma you listed earlier, but a bit wider.

Would be slow long floats on Class I/II from Delta, CO to Whitewater, CO or through Grand Junction to Loma, CO area.

Looking for a self bailer, and looking to have a frame and camp, as well as fish so ability to be configurable from two guys fishing (work buddies), to two adults (wife and I) and a toddler spending all day or overnight.
Post a link to that 130D, it seems like it would check all the boxes. You'd have some $$ to spare for a cooler, drybox, and trailer.

#33 ·
Damn. 13’ Hyside with full kit and gear was listed for $3500.

I had made contact and seller wanted cash only so gathered the wife and went around to ATMs to withdraw as much as we could...

And it sold within hours. Who are you people with $3500 cash on hand on a Friday afternoon after banks close? 😉

Oh well. Wasn’t meant to be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.