Raft Recommendations - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #21

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbnMike View Post
Thanks.

That Saturn seems tempting due to the gear prices.

If I got it for $1900 there seem to be a fair number of 16í Aires and others in the $2k range. Thatís fully rigged for $4k!
Well, thereís a saying that comes to mind right now about leading a horse to water but not being able to make him drink....

Good luck, man.

griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #22
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
I recommend getting the same raft as me! I love mine. Youll love it too!
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #23

Western Slope, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbnMike View Post
Thanks.

That Saturn seems tempting due to the gear prices.

If I got it for $1900 there seem to be a fair number of 16’ Aires and others in the $2k range. That’s fully rigged for $4k!
Well, there’s a saying that comes to mind right now about leading a horse to water but not being able to make him drink....

Good luck, man.
Sorry I’m listening. Just saying I need the frame and gear and the raft if I want the wife and kid with me.

Why wouldn’t I buy a gear set with a crappy raft for $2k, then buy a good used quality raft for $2k and sell the Saturn for $500? $300? $600?

Is the gear in the ad garbage? The way I see it I’m ending up spending $3500-4000 and getting a quality raft and full outfit. What am I missing?
AbnMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #24

Golden, Colorado
Dude, youíre buying a frame and oars with no idea what boat itís going on ultimately. The $350 highback seat means the seller is a lying dickhead, as well. And what happens when you get the raft you actually want and itís wider or narrower than your ďgreat dealĒ frame and the oars are too long or short? Not much savings there.

If youíve got a line on a good 16í Aire then get it, measure it up, and buy a frame thatís going to fit it for sure. Oars, too. A new, stripped down basic NRS frame and some new, cheap Carlisle oars fitted for you and your spending the same or less money on a quality, adaptable, expandable frame set up....that FOR SURE fits your raft too. And less dinking around with used crap and sketchy sellers.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #25
Fuck vertical scope

Craig'merica, !!!
Yes the Saturn is garbage and the gear is not junk just way over priced for 2000$. No way that boat is a Saturn it looks more like and old Udisco or Campways. You can build a frame like that for less then 500$ using Speed-rail fittings. Only way it cost 1750 is that the meth they were on while building it cost 1500$.
Check out Facebok Marketplace there is a few older Hysides and a Legacy that are not to bad, a real Saturn for 1000$ and a Aire for 3900$.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #26

Western Slope, Colorado
That all makes sense.

Thanks.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #27

Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
You should go to the takeouts at Bridgeport and whitewater before you get a raft. They are not very good and decide what you and your wife can carry.
John the welder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #28

Western Slope, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by John the welder View Post
You should go to the takeouts at Bridgeport and whitewater before you get a raft. They are not very good and decide what you and your wife can carry.
Is the Gunnison passable past Whitewater like on to the Redlands Dam behind the cemetary at the Energy offices?

I don't have to get out at Whitewater, and I have seen that takeout - seems weird there's such a huge lot there but the takeout is under the bridge. There has to be a story behind that, seems a shame to have that lot but such a crappy take out. Whitewater is literally 2 miles from my house though so was thinking that.

If there's a better take out down river or after it joins with the Colorado I can do that no problem, too.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #29

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by John the welder View Post
this is a good argument for a 13'-14' raft.

I started with a big 16' Maravia which was awesome for a bunch of drunken friends who could help carry it. It wasn't so awesome for my wife and I and our then 4 and 6 year old girls if we had to hand-carry it more than 20'. Definitely agree with John the Welder on that one.

Got a 13.0 Trib used for $1,700 about 8-9 years ago and it probably still sees 2x more days every year than my big boat. It's been out 7x so far this year and the big boat is still rolled up.

So while I took that big Maravia (and the 156R that replaced it) everywhere I've taken the smaller boat, I tend to take the smaller boat for solo days with a small frame and oars, R2, R3, R5, and even R8 on the Lochsa at low flow with a bunch of preteens. The big boat goes on multidays and that's where it shines.

If you can load to and from a trailer at all your regular putins/takeouts, then go for a bigger boat. For a "quiver of one" single boat, 14' is pretty hard to beat for daytrips, small family, several adults on big whitewater, multidays, etc.

I can't argue with the bucket boat, either. Great way to get started, and probably just as good for toddlers to play in. It won't be your last boat, but it will get you started and have a lot of fun on the water.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #30

Western Slope, Colorado
An AIRE SB130D with oar frame, oars and pump just popped up locally for $2600...