Raft pump - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-28-2017   #1

Bozeman, Montana
Raft pump

Anyone have recommendations on a pump? I'm looking for something to top off the raft when needed. Going to keep/transport my raft inflated. Just raft so I'm looking for something that will last.

walterwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2017   #2

laramie, wy
Paddling Since: 2010
k pump or ez pump. makes topping off a cinch.
Kirks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017   #3

Riverbend, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
electric or manual?
I roll with a K-pump 200. K pumps are great: compact, low maintenance, they float and no hoses to tie up or put holes in. They have a number of models and sizes and come with a storage bag that can be rigged almost anywhere and easily reached on the fly. Required on-river equipment anyway.

My electric is a coleman-air-mattress-no-balls-hair-dryer-sounding-gizmo that plugs into the cigarette lighter in the truck. The thing can't even push enough pressure to open a closed leafield valve so I use it to blow the majority of air in with the valve open and then do the quick close and top off with the k-pump. I had it left over from car camping days before I discovered river sleeping pads but it beats the heck out of spending $120 plus on the NRS electrics. Yes they will push a leafield valve open but electrics don't top off like a manual does at least in my private boating and guiding experiences.

Can blow uninflated 13' raft and top of in less than 10 minutes.
Ginger Blu Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2017   #4

Blue River, Colorado
Another happy K-pump user here. Straps nicely to the thwart. Always wondering if it gets water in it, am I pumping moisture into the tubes? Maybe a drybag would be a better way to transport.
cdcfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017   #5

Gunnison, colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I prefer the K-100 but the 200 is great as well.
Old 06-29-2017   #6

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
Never got too worked up over a pump. I think the one I use is a Sevylor double action pump I got for $19.99. They are probably $29.99 these days. I think mine is ten years old.

One of my sons was giving me a hard time about it because it's "so cheap". So I put a big NRS sticker over the sevylor label. I think it's worth $89.99 now.

That said if I had to do more than top off I would want something higher volume or electric.
Roguelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
I also use a Coleman air mattress pump and then top off with a AAA barrel pump. The Coleman does the job just fine, I personally wouldn't spend any big money on a fancy electric pump. If I had it to do over, I would get a k pump instead of the AAA. I got the AAA pump before I realized how well the Coleman electric one would work, so I thought I would be using it a lot more. Now I wish I had a k pump instead just cause it's more compact and would do just fine for topping off.
protechie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017   #8

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Water in pump = water in tubes if you use it... Dry bag (tent bag works for bigger pumps) is a good idea. I keep my K-pump in dry box, handy if needed.
Another reason to go with K-pump: they're a family business, and will service your pump free of charge (you pay postage, I've even had them pay that for return) for pretty much forever. I bought my first one in 2006 or 2007, have rebuilt it twice myself and sent it in when developed a hairline crack in the top piece due to over-enthusiastic "help" - they sent me a new pump.
Agree with others in this thread about blowers: whatever is cheapest and gets your boat full. That said, I've had good luck for many years with LVM, just DO NOT hook to battery with engine running. They're designed to run on 12V, not the 14 your battery is receiving from alternator.
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
DRE makes by far the best pumps. They will cost you but properly cared for will last long long time.
Fumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017   #10

Montrose, Colorado
When at home, I typically use a shop-vac to inflate.
For put-in and take-out, I use a Dewalt blower. The Dewalt will inflate at least 4 rafts with one of the larger 20v batteries. I really like this solution, and take it down the river in a dry box instead of a large pump.
For top-off, I use a K-pump knock-off made by AAA inflatables. The AAA pump is so far more durable than the K-pump.
I have a K-100, but the inflator end broke out on it. I attempted to contact the manufacturer a couple times, and did not get a response, so I fixed it myself after a trip to the Home Depot plumbing department.
I prefer the K style pumps for top-off since they are much easier for a person to use on their own.
QuietHunter is offline   Reply With Quote