Raft on Roof Rack - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-23-2010   #1

little rock, Arkansas
Raft on Roof Rack

I just took delivery of a 14' hypalon raft. I also got rid of my pickup and bought a Ford Expedition this week. I was planning on transporting the raft rolled up, but I'm wondering whether I could transport it on the Expy's roof rack instead. It would free up space and save me the work of deflating and re-inflating. Is there any reason I couldn't feasibly do that? I've done it with canoes, but this rafting thing is new to me. Tell me what you think. Thanks.

lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2010   #2

San Juan Islands, Washington
Like this?

I don't think I'd trust my roof rack with n inflated boat on the car.
That's my 14' NRS on my Subaru. If I don't use my trailer I'll roll the raft and put it behind the rear seat, PFDs and gear go in the back seat and frame and oars go on top.
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010   #3

frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
do it, but tie from the front and back as well as the rack that way you distribute the force evenly. Plus one of the mile stones of being a boater is running down the highway to retrieve an inflated boat. Lots of laughs after you get it back.
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2010   #4
SarahofTheWaves

FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Done it for short distances. And when raft is rigged as a paddle raft. I turn it black side up for a more aerodynamic ride... Otherwise, roll it up and put it in back.
Yes on the bow and stern tie downs.
sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010   #5

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Wind resistance at 60mph puts incredible stress on things, ever seen a roof top matress folded in half as it flew down the highway? Be kind to your new toy and transport it rolled up. You even get better gas milage that way.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010   #6

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by kengore View Post
Wind resistance at 60mph puts incredible stress on things, ever seen a roof top matress folded in half as it flew down the highway? Be kind to your new toy and transport it rolled up. You even get better gas milage that way.
All of this is absolutely true, and I'll add one more problem you will encounter with a raft on the roof rack. The air will expand and contract with the air temperature and sunlight, so you might start out with a properly inflated raft, but soon find it going flabby and flapping in the wind, or worse, overinflating and bursting. Don't do it!
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010   #7

North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
I dunno- my roof rack has a weight limit of 150 lbs. I woun't trust it to hold than a kayak (which btw- it's only so entertaining to have come loose at 70 mph and be dangling off the back of your vehicle in the rain...)
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010   #8

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1066

I've put an inflated 14' boat on a number of different factory set ups, but only short distances and under 60 MPH. If space is an issue, roll it un folded, bow to stern like a carpet, with paddles in the middle. Then strap the roll to your roof rack. This works great and does not put any stress on the boat.
randomnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010   #9

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob larrabee View Post
...Plus one of the mile stones of being a boater is running down the highway to retrieve an inflated boat. Lots of laughs after you get it back.
That was funny....

I wouldn't do it. Roll it up. You could kill someone if that thing breaks loose on the highway...
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010   #10

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
I have a 10' NRS raft that I've hauled numerous times on top of my Volvo wagon and on top of a Chevy Suburban with no problems, including hauling a one piece steel row frame. I have Yakima racks on one and Thule on the other. I include bow and stern tie downs if I'm hauling it from my house to the Poudre (approx 15 miles on back roads) but not for short shuttles. Granted, my 10' raft is quite a bit smaller than a 14'.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rafting