Raft + Motor - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-12-2017   #1

San Francisco, California
Raft + Motor

Hello, fellow buzzers.
I am thinking of adding a 6HP 4 stroke motor to my Aire 156D. I know that most people use motor for pushing rafts on long flat section of desert rivers, but I am thinking of using it for still water or slow moving water for fishing. I plan to install NRS motor mount (traditional or U shaped version).

What kind of speed or tracking can I expect from this combo? I know that the hull design of round boats are not ideal for this type of boating, but I hate to let the boat sit in my garage waiting for the next whitewater trips.

Has anyone used a small outboard for fishing on lakes, or slow moving rivers with some kids and light gear? I have a pretty slick 4 bay aluminum frame.

Any help or input will be greatly appreciated.

verendus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2017   #2

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
If you're just cruising around lakes or flat water, it'll be pretty easy to control. Tracking can get a little squirrely without a keel, but you're not going to be able to get it on a plane to go fast enough to really make the steering sensitivity that big of an issue. I love puttering around lakes in my NRS 130, you'll get some curious looks from the "real boat" crowd, but as long as you're out enjoying yourself, who cares?
seantana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017   #3

Drop your oar blades in the water when you are running, kind of like two mini skegs in the water to help you with tracking.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2017   #4

Thanks for the input. Do you know what kind of speed I can expect from a 6HP on a 15' raft with frame + gear? I am thinking of using NRS U shape motor mount. I just don't want this to be an experiment that will turn into a disappointing result. I plan to use it on a small to medium sized reservoirs.

From doing some research, a 3 gallon tank will give me quite a few miles of travel. Speed and maneuverability may not be optimal, but if I can get around at decent speed, I am in.
Old 05-14-2017   #5

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Cut out your floor and run the motor in the middle of the boat. This way you can keep your motor.
Old 05-14-2017   #6

C. Springs, Colorado
Most hard hull speed boats come up on plane between 15 and 20 MPH. The sweet spot for my 18' Wellcraft to start to come up on plane is 18 MPH. Top speed is around 50 MPH with a 220 hp motor. The boat weighs in at around 3,200 lbs without people.

With an 8hp 2 stroke the fastest I've been able to achieve in that boat is 4.5 MPH. I had a 5 hp 4 stroke Honda that would only push the boat at 2.7 MPH if the wind wasn't blowing. It wouldn't make headway on a windy day. The difference in torque between the two was quite noticeable.

With the set up your talking about, (soft hull, lightly loaded) I would say your top speed will be around 10 MPH. Wind and chop will slow you down some. You won't be getting up on plane without a hard hull boat, so I don't see tracking as much of an issue, except on a windy day. I've never been on a lake with my raft and motor set up, so this is only a guess.

Good luck and have fun.......but keep the bottom in your boat. I can't imagine that mounting a motor in the middle of your boat would improve speed or tracking??? .
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by garystrome View Post
Cut out your floor and run the motor in the middle of the boat. This way you can keep your motor.
Gary, that's what I'd call 'determination' and 'innovation'. But, I am not so desperate to cut out the floor of a 5K boat to put a motor. .
Old 05-14-2017   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
With the set up your talking about, (soft hull, lightly loaded) I would say your top speed will be around 10 MPH. Wind and chop will slow you down some. You won't be getting up on plane without a hard hull boat, so I don't see tracking as much of an issue, except on a windy day. I've never been on a lake with my raft and motor set up, so this is only a guess.
Thanks for this information. I am not trying to turn my flat bottom soft hull into a speed demon, but even 10MPH on a calm lake would make it a great fishing craft. I am planning to get the NRS motor mount + a pair of side rail to connect the motor to my frame. I am hearing transom stability will make all the difference in the performance of the motor.
Old 05-14-2017   #9

C. Springs, Colorado
I've ran a motor down Deso a couple of times now, and having the motor attached and pushing on the frame is the key to success when transferring the power of the motor to the boat. The main thing to worry about is getting the motor at the right depth so as not to cavatate the propeller. With the motor running at the right depth, transom stability shouldn't be much of a problem at all. It takes a little getting use to running, in the chop, on a lake. You might end up having to get a jack ass mount to get the proper propeller depth with your setup.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017   #10

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Why would a U shaped motor mount be better than the old style?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote