raft inflation, cordless - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-27-2017   #1

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
raft inflation, cordless

Anyone try either of these products for blowing up rafts (obviously would still need to top off)? I have a bunch of tools that take the same batteries, so I feel like it would be worth a try.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18...P738/300997599

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18...P731/203060297

Grifgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2017   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
That looks pretty cool and handy but... consider the battery life. I have a set of Ryobi one+ power tools and their cheap batteries don't hold a charge well. And the good batteries aren't cheap but since you already have a Ryobi kit then you know the deal. It might be the case that a single battery charge won't inflate a full boat since these are meant for mattresses and pool toys.

Also consider that you can't plug it in. I ended up getting the cheap Intex rechargeable pump, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and the car adapter has been a life saver when the battery dies. The battery on that [with a full charge] fills my 16 foot gear boat exactly once or my mini 2-3 times. On many occasions I have had to bust out the cord at the put in - can't do that with this.

That said, you should totally give it a shot since you have the batteries. If it turns out inadequate, Home Depot has a generous return policy. If you do let us know the results.
almortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017   #3

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2013
I bought the dewalt 20 volt cordless blower for other projects. Figured I'd give it a try on my boats, It works great. One battery blew up my 16 ft boat and almost a 13 foot had to swap to another battery to finish it up. It worked fast and it was nice not to have to drag a cord around. Still had to top off with a hand pump but that's how all do it from now on.
Locodrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2017   #4

white salmon, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
I use a black and decker 18v Leaf blower

I use a much older version of this one and it will blow up two 14' on one battery. yes you still have to top it off. for $50 I'd get another one

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DE...FRZjfgodgJQEHw
donutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I have a Makita battery powered leaf blower and it will easily inflate at least 2 rafts to 90% pressure. I know both Milwaukee and Dewalt make a similar one too, so you can get whichever one you already have batteries for. Looks like this...

Its about $80-90, so not as cheap as that Ryobi.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017   #6

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I solved the problem in a slightly different way. I already owned a Craftsman 110 volt corded leaf blower. So I bought a 200 amp voltage converter (about $30) and run it off my car battery. I only intent to use the blower at the put-in so going with a corded version is not a handicap. Some put-ins even have an outlet. It is powerful enough that I almost don't need to top off. I have filled thee 15' NRS rafts, two tandem duckies, plus my 15' cat without putting dent on the car battery.

The voltage converter is a useful accessory for the road trip, I can run a laptop or other high demand electric device easily. I often see corded leaf blowers and small shop vacs at my local thrift store for cheap.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017   #7
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
200 amp for $30. We're did you find that? 200amp x 12v = 2400watt. That's a pricy inverter. Are you sure you got your number right. 2400 watt inverter carries some hefty cables.(much thicker than jumper cables).

Let's say your blower needs 10 amps at 120v then a 1200 watt would serve you perfect, as long as the inverter is 100% efficient. (Which its not). 10amps at 120v be 12v at 100 amps still so the cables would still be hefty. Like #2 or so.

I would really like to see this set up. I believe you and it sounds like a good set up but either your numbers are wrong, my 10a assumption is way off, or both.

Sorry for nerding out on you like that.
Old 11-27-2017   #8

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
NoCo you are correct. My bad memory and ability to swap words came into play. Sorry for the misinformation.

On more careful inspection it is a 1200 watt inverter (not 20 amps) It does have some hefty cables, about 1/3 the size of jumper cables and I purchased it over 8 years ago.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017   #9
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
My smaller sized shop vac does a kick ass job at inflating my raft (E-140), don't even have to open valves. Never tried it off an inverter though, so not sure how much battery it would take.
A clean filter increases output and probably efficiency to.
Old 11-27-2017   #10
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I use both Makita and Dewalt for my work, and both are good quality, being higher end than Ryobi. Makita is probably at the top of that group, though dewalt has a lot of tools running off the same battery right now.

Definitely good to build a cordless collection with one brand, and a guy always needs another power tool!