Raft frame tubing size - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-19-2012   #1

Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Raft frame tubing size

Just curious, what is sort of the general size for the tubing on an aluminum raft frame? Diameter and wall thickness. I'm contemplating building my own frame and was just curious what size material is generally used.

DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012   #2
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Nrs specs below

Nominal size 1 1/4" Schedule 40, 6061-T6 anodized aluminum pipe
Outside diameter = 1 5/8"
Inside diameter = 1 3/8"
Wall thickness = 1/8"
Weight = .786 lbs/FT

With that out there. I use 1" std steel for all my frames. I just like steel. But rememeber to keep all your welds smooth to reduce frame rub on your boat.
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #3

Coos Bay, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahofloater View Post
Nrs specs below

Nominal size 1 1/4" Schedule 40, 6061-T6 anodized aluminum pipe
Outside diameter = 1 5/8"
Inside diameter = 1 3/8"
Wall thickness = 1/8"
Weight = .786 lbs/FT

With that out there. I use 1" std steel for all my frames. I just like steel. But rememeber to keep all your welds smooth to reduce frame rub on your boat.

The pipe he is talking about is actually 1.66 O.D and be would be very heavy with a .125 wall
Pipe is not measured fractionally like tubing is on the O.D
So there is no 1 5/8 aluminum pipe.
riverrunr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012   #4

Riverton, Utah
idahofloater, why steel? I know its stronger, but its heavy. Cost? I have a steel frame right now and thought about modding it to my needs, but man is it heavy. I saw the aluminum frames and suddenly had frame envy.

Looks like the Down River ones are 1 1/2 Schedule 40.
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
there are a whole bunch of engineers here while they may all be right on different levels, but if you go into a raft store and say you want 1.66 OD .125 wall schedule 40 6061 T6, there may be some funny looks.

Basically there are two sizes of Aluminum raft frame tubes - small and big. NRS/AAA/Star use small tubes, DRE/Riverboat Works/Clavey use big tubes. If you want to walk into a raft place, the small tube (and the fittings and accessories that go with it) is called 1 1/4" and the big stuff is called 1 1/2". you will probably never be able to measure the tube and find a 1 1/4" measurement anywhere but that is what it is called.

unless you are a nut, all of them are plenty strong.

Keep it simple.
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #6
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCan View Post
idahofloater, why steel? I know its stronger, but its heavy. Cost? I have a steel frame right now and thought about modding it to my needs, but man is it heavy. I saw the aluminum frames and suddenly had frame envy.

Looks like the Down River ones are 1 1/2 Schedule 40.
I totally get frame alum envy. I have it real bad. But, I am just too fawking stupid weld and bend aluminum. 1' is strong as hell and really the extra 15lbs of frame weight really isnt a factor on my raft. steel bends easy, welds easy, and screw ups are cheep. Also I Like to build frames all the time. for friends and stuff. I just can't stop myself. So, cheep steel works for me.
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahofloater View Post
I totally get frame alum envy. I have it real bad. But, I am just too fawking stupid weld and bend aluminum. 1' is strong as hell and really the extra 15lbs of frame weight really isnt a factor on my raft. steel bends easy, welds easy, and screw ups are cheep. Also I Like to build frames all the time. for friends and stuff. I just can't stop myself. So, cheep steel works for me.
any pics of your work? I always wanted to learn how to weld.
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #8

Beaverton, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoapiglet View Post
there are a whole bunch of engineers here while they may all be right on different levels, but if you go into a raft store and say you want 1.66 OD .125 wall schedule 40 6061 T6, there may be some funny looks.
... but if you walk into a metals dealer like White City Metals in Oregon, they will know exactly what you are looking for.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #9

Coos Bay, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandob9 View Post
... but if you walk into a metals dealer like White City Metals in Oregon, they will know exactly what you are looking for.
That is true!

I always wondered why people order frames through NRS, where I bought my boat they build custom frames all day long. If you want a pile of pipes with fittings they would be glad to slap that together and save everyone a ton of money.

I am sure they could rig it up in a couple of hours , they are basically a handrail system and dont take any real skill to build. probably save a few hundred dollars over NRS prices for the same thing.
riverrunr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #10

Beaverton, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrunr77 View Post
That is true!

I always wondered why people order frames through NRS, where I bought my boat they build custom frames all day long. If you want a pile of pipes with fittings they would be glad to slap that together and save everyone a ton of money.

I am sure they could rig it up in a couple of hours , they are basically a handrail system and dont take any real skill to build. probably save a few hundred dollars over NRS prices for the same thing.
I think that NRS has a neater "system" in play than the assemble it yourself approach, which involves 10' sticks of aluminum and a pile of knuckles. I enjoyed building mine from scratch with some quality guidance from a friend who had done it before, but I also see the point of just ordering a complete kit that is pre cut. I think I spent about $350 on my basic frame, another $150 for custom built tables and later another $150 adding diamond plate side decks and through-bolts.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote