Raft Frame Modification - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-08-2015   #1

Knoxville, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 2000
Raft Frame Modification

I am planning on purchasing a used raft frame. Its CtoC measurement is to small for my raft (raft: 54", frame: 48"). I am making the assumption that I can create the additional width through welding on additional tubing and creating a walking platform. I want walking platforms so this seems like an easy fix that solves two problems. Does anyone have any other suggestions or advice?

raft119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2015   #2

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
That totally depends on a number of details. We're going to need more info, like what type or brand frame is it or send some photos.
Old 06-09-2015   #3

Knoxville, Tennessee
I believe it is a steel rectrec oddysey frame. I don't have pics unfortunately yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2015   #4

Belgrade, Montana
So you think it looks something like this?

Old 06-10-2015   #5

Knoxville, Tennessee
Yes, I believe that is the correct frame.
Old 06-10-2015   #6

Belgrade, Montana
I understand your original idea, but simply adding to the side will still leave the verticals flapping in the breeze (so to speak). That frame is designed to fit snugly into the boat with the verticals tightly against the tubes. leaving gaps could be dangerous and would be a significant waste of space.

I really think those are one of the toughest frames to modify but it can be done. If you look closely at the picture, that frame was built as a take down and the middle of each of the cross pieces is it's own section with an internal sleeve connection. I think that would be the only solid way to widen your frame. If it's not a break down you would need to make it into one.

You'll need to cut an equal amount out of each of the cross pieces, then replace those with longer pieces that make the frame the width you want. I'm pretty sure they use 3/4" EMT to make their frames - you could call them to find out. Either way you'll need to find some steel tubing that fits inside your frame tubing and make sleeves. You'll also of course need to get additional frame material, what ever that turns out to be.

If you can weld, great; weld the sleeves to one side of each piece (welding them to the outside pieces makes it easier to adjust size again in the future). If not JB weld or even heavy rivets, maybe even bolt it together (what ever floats your boat). You could then drill and pin/bolt/strap the inner pieces or do nothing and let the boat hold your frame together... I'm not quite sure how Recretec does it on their production frames but I believe the pressure fit of the frame in the boat is what keeps it one piece. Again, do what ever your comfortable with here...I know I wouldn't want a dozen or more pins to keep track of, so I'd either bolt it or let it pressure fit if it seems solid.

You can still make side decks but you'd need to get creative around the towers... My old recretec frame like that (or somebody's knock off) didn't have the inner support (long curved one) so side decks weren't a problem. but I'd think you could still make something that would fit just inside that support if your frame has it. Possibly even be notched to fit around it...

Hope that helps...
Old 06-10-2015   #7

Knoxville, Tennessee
Elkhaven, it definitely helps. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2015   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I would be less concerned with the center to center measurement and instead measure between the tubes. How does your between the tube measurement compare to the outside width of those drops ( the tubes that hold the footbar)?

Its a good frame if it fits, but probably not worth modifying.