raft frame extension? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-02-2008   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
raft frame extension?

Anyone know of a company that sells 1.250 aluminum tubing , I am hoping to find the cheapest route, not from a frame builder/raft company, their costs are a bit to high for me, $$ is a issue...I can have it bent in a muffler shop. Thanks, any other ideas appreciated!

Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008   #2
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
try www.onlinemetals.com
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #3

aurora, Colorado
metals

other sources:

Alreco

Phone: 303-287-7210
11299 Brighton Rd, Henderson, CO 80640

massive amount of scrap and new metals. best price if you can find what you need and not have to pay for him to cut anything

Erickson Metals-Colorado Incorporated

5045 Oakland St
Denver, CO 80239
Phone: (303) 373-0820

new only... they sell to us at work, not sure if you can buy off the street. per se

I bought my raft tubing at alreco.. paid ~30 bucks (3 years ago) for 12 foot of schedule 40 tubing. bring a frame fitting with you to make sure of fitment. the tube I bought is slightly bigger than speedrail fittings, but didn't matter for what i used it for. I added on two static bays at either end of my frame ... five bay storage madness.
sea hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008   #4

Indian Hills, Colorado
i did some research on aluminum pipe awhile back and the only place i could find it in the denver area was alreco. i think they only sell it in 20 foot lengths. 1.25 x 20 feet was around 50 bucks, i think.
Old 12-03-2008   #5

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo View Post
Anyone know of a company that sells 1.250 aluminum tubing , I am hoping to find the cheapest route, not from a frame builder/raft company, their costs are a bit to high for me, $$ is a issue...I can have it bent in a muffler shop. Thanks, any other ideas appreciated!
I would check if you can bend T-4, T-5, or T-6 aluminum in a muffler bending machine first, before spending the money. It may be too brittle to bend cold. I have always used speedrail corners and tee's, no bending required. To cut pipe I used an old carbon blade in a chop saw, worked fine. You may need to find a hot bending machine for clean curves. T-1 or T-2 might bend in a muffler shop if you can find it but might be to soft for river raft frame.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Thanks for the info gents! I`ll look into alreco in the denver area, I may be able to use a T-fitting in leau of a bend! I think 20 feet may be all I need!
Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #7
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Quote:
Thanks for the info gents! I`ll look into alreco in the denver area, I may be able to use a T-fitting in leau of a bend! I think 20 feet may be all I need!
My understanding is you want T-6063 if you're gonna bend it (vs T-6061). I am sure there is a metallurgist here who will clear this all up. One prob with speed rails for the corners is the set screws could strip out (problematic for catarafts especially). its not such a big deal on the crossbars.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mania View Post
My understanding is you want T-6063 if you're gonna bend it (vs T-6061). I am sure there is a metallurgist here who will clear this all up. One prob with speed rails for the corners is the set screws could strip out (problematic for catarafts especially). its not such a big deal on the crossbars.
This is what I heard when I did my research as well. T-6063 bends easily (with the right machinery), T-6061 is harder to bend. If you call AAA Rafting Equipment in Denver you can ask them about it - they have a machine shop in house and build their own frames. They will also custom make pretty much anything you want - not the cheapest option, but they know their stuff and were cheaper than DRE (Down River Equipment, also in Denver) when I priced it out.

One other thing to consider is weight - a bent rail will weight less than an speed rail elbow (and it is stronger). Of course a bend packs to a larger size than an elbow joint if you want a breakdown frame.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #9

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
extensions

Quote:
try two pieces of alum pipe or steel tube conduit supporting a drop bag. oar shafts work well also.
Old 12-04-2008   #10

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
extension

Quote:
for the 1.5" pipe 1.9" o.d. , rowframe has setscrew tee fittings for $5.00

Tags
rafting