Raft frame build, T-clamps or Lopros - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-15-2011   #1

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
Raft frame build, T-clamps or Lopros

T-clamps or lopros. I just bought a 156R. I plan on building a raft frame for it but can't decide weather to use the T-clamps with set screws you can get from Frontier Play, or to go with NRS Lopros. The T-clamps are half the price but not sure which makes it easier the break down the frame, which is more sturdy and stronger. If anyone has some advice/experience with both, help would be appreciated. First frame I will have built, so any other advice would be appreciated as well.

elkchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2011   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Depends a lot on how much flexibility you want going forward. If doing speed rail you might consider 1.5" pipe and I'd find 6061 at someplace that does alum pipe like Alaskan copper and brass. I often see the fittings cheap on craigslist. The nrs advantages are no setscrew marks, breakdown without clips, and ability to reposition frame on the fly
Old 06-15-2011   #3

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Take a look at the catalog at Aluminum Railing, ADA Railing, Handrail, Infill Panels & Pipe Fittings. SpeedRail fittings are better quality than Diamond or the Chinese copies. $100 minimum order.

Look at the pipe sizing guide as well. NRS pipe is 1-1/4" ips/1.66" actual od. So for NRS pipe get 1-1/4" fittings. If you can't get sched. 40 pipe locally, you can order it from Order Aluminum 6061 Pipe in Small Quantities at OnlineMetals.com

But compare the price (and shipping) for NRS pipe, which is anodized (non-marking).

I've built several frames with SpeedRail fittings.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2011   #4

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Take a look at the catalog at Aluminum Railing, ADA Railing, Handrail, Infill Panels & Pipe Fittings. SpeedRail fittings are better quality than Diamond or the Chinese copies. $100 minimum order.

Look at the pipe sizing guide as well. NRS pipe is 1-1/4" ips/1.66" actual od. So for NRS pipe get 1-1/4" fittings. If you can't get sched. 40 pipe locally, you can order it from Order Aluminum 6061 Pipe in Small Quantities at OnlineMetals.com

But compare the price (and shipping) for NRS pipe, which is anodized (non-marking).

I've built several frames with SpeedRail fittings.
good reason to go with 1.5" ips seems like a lot more stuff is built with the 1-1/2" pipe size. i havent called this guy lately but ad still valid and hes got a shitload. $5/coupler seems like going price and are cheap to ship

Aluminum Speed Rail Coupler Fittings
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011   #5

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
I really like the 1 1/4 schedule 40 size NRS uses just for the variety of bolt and go stuff built for it. Beverage holders, oar stands,umbrellas, anchor systems, you name it. Plus you can get parts at any boat store. As for speedrail stuff, check out Nurail.com , 1-800-638-7473. No minimum order. Genuine hollaender fittings. Also might check out Wild Goose Engineering ( fellow buzzard) if you want the best stuff available. All billet aluminum goodness.
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011   #6

portland, Oregon
Yeah but for the new hollaender pricing you might be better off with lopros if you have a drill. I think the lopro design is definitely more bomber

Given unlimited budget i'd probably do double rail wildgoose with short hollaender crossbars between the inner rails
Old 06-15-2011   #7

Boise, Idaho
Hollaender fittings for sure. They make the best Tees and though NRS lopros are strong(I have them on my cat frame for extra strength), they are 5x the weight/cost. I second 1 1/4 IPS so you can use NRS/wild goose parts. Oh yeah, call Gary at rowframe.com. He builds quality stuff at excellent prices but I believe uses only 1 1/2 IPS...

This frame was built from NRS frame rails and galvanized steel fence posts from home cheapo...I attach NRS footbar and oar towers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00102.jpg
Views:	1093
Size:	588.8 KB
ID:	3737   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00103.jpg
Views:	1909
Size:	898.5 KB
ID:	3738  

rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011   #8

San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I have a small frame for my cat that I made w/ NRS fittings, very bomber and adjustable. However, a couple weeks ago I was with someone that had a near identical frame made from Speedrail/DRE fittings. His frame was noticeably lighter, and had seen much class V action on his little cat.

My one beef with speedrail fittings is that they use setscrews and mar the frame, on my little cat I change a couple bars nearly every trip depending if it's a day trip or an over night. The set screws made little grooves and sharpness on you frame rails that can cause cuts during high-siding and dancing.

scott
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011   #9

portland, Oregon
Scott. Pick up a good diamond file from harbor freight tools. Does a great job of deburring those setscrew divots
Old 06-15-2011   #10
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Buikt mine with the same ones from DRE and 4 from Gary(Rowfrme.com) for my new 156R. I have been on the Yampah and aot of local runs this yer and The frame is built. PM me and Ill get you a scale drawing of what I built

christian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Boat 016.jpg
Views:	3308
Size:	547.6 KB
ID:	3739