raft/cat combo frame?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-17-2012   #1

Northern Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
raft/cat combo frame??

Anyone out there use a raft frame for their raft and then add drop bars/modify it so it works for a cat?

I recently got a new raft and will be getting a frame for it, but am thinking- what if the frame could be used for both my raft and a set of ocelot tubes??

Input Please

Faucet Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012   #2
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Why would you want to render the cat unusable in favor of the raft that could othewise be paddled if you have enough passengers?
Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #3

What?

Don't quite understand your statement.

The basic concept is to have a 4-bay raft frame that you could remove one of the bays and put length-wise drop bars on so it would work with cat tubes. If there wasn't much/any compromise it's a logical way to use a frame more effectively-cost-wise, gear storage, versatility...

Why would I want to do this? Because on high stakes class 5 technical rivers where a cat excels, I'd rather be alone in a cat then having to worry about managing a crew-I did that commercially for 15 years and it got kinda old.

Thanks for your feedback-it was helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012   #4

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Nrs makes drop bars that you could attach to a raft frame. There was a thread about it last week. Do a search and read all about it.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #5

Jenks, Oklahoma
NRS Standard Frame Drop Side Rails at NRSweb.com

I think the above URL is what you are looking for.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #6
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I guess I'm missing the point slightly. Do you already own the cat tubes and frame? As a cat owner, I don't want to redo the sixteen straps and reposition tubes every time I want to run it. I have a 16 foot cat so I can carry a few passengers and lots of gear. I also run it light and agile for class IV rapids. If I had more people and a raft I would opt for paddlers and forego the frame.

I guess the question I have is, when would you want the raft and frame setup instead of the cat option?
Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #7

Different rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I guess I'm missing the point slightly. Do you already own the cat tubes and frame? As a cat owner, I don't want to redo the sixteen straps and reposition tubes every time I want to run it. I have a 16 foot cat so I can carry a few passengers and lots of gear. I also run it light and agile for class IV rapids. If I had more people and a raft I would opt for paddlers and forego the frame.

I guess the question I have is, when would you want the raft and frame setup instead of the cat option?
I'm probably asking too much out of one frame design for what I'm envisioning. *I have a raft now but would like to pick up a set of 14' cat tubes in the future.

But, I was thinking if I had a 4 bay frame on my raft that I could have made so I could remove the front bay, I could still haul gear and have enough room up front for paddle-assist for rivers like the selway and middle fork...and leave it as a 4 bay for runs like the grand, cat, lodore, deso...

Then, I'm thinking-with the frame as a 3 bay, I could attach drop rails and use the same frame with a set of 14' cat tubes-to be used on day and short multi-day runs like the upper animas, piedra, illinois, and similar style runs throughout the west-where a nimbly cat is super fun to row.

For the few bennies it might save me, I might just end up with a frame that's not ideal for either boat though.

Just thought I'd throw it out there to see if any other boaters have done it with success or not.
Old 02-17-2012   #8

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Aire has a good price on their new Old Stock Ocelot tubes.

I think what you wanna do makes sense. You have a raft for hauling gear. You leave the frame at home when you do a friendly local paddle river. You add your drop rails and cat tubes when you are running a technical day trip.

I dont know why anyone is giving you shit -- Makes perfect sense to me. Your frame gets dual purpose and you only need one set of oars. In fact i purchased an extra set of drops so my buddy can use his frame with my spare tubes and i've got a catboat partner now

If you get a non Nrs frame you can always have them male the front and back of the boat out of 1-1/4 schedule 40 (1.66 od). Nrs will make the drop rails any length and depth for a nominal fee
Old 02-17-2012   #9

I'll keep researching it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Aire has a good price on their new Old Stock Ocelot tubes.

I think what you wanna do makes sense. You have a raft for hauling gear. You leave the frame at home when you do a friendly local paddle river. You add your drop rails and cat tubes when you are running a technical day trip.

I dont know why anyone is giving you shit -- Makes perfect sense to me. Your frame gets dual purpose and you only need one set of oars. In fact i purchased an extra set of drops so my buddy can use his frame with my spare tubes and i've got a catboat partner now

If you get a non Nrs frame you can always have them male the front and back of the boat out of 1-1/4 schedule 40 (1.66 od). Nrs will make the drop rails any length and depth for a nominal fee
I think you're smellin' what I'm cookin'. I've owned cats for the past two boats I had and one of the things that I got sick of was my huge, bulky, modular frame system- granted, there are much slicker cat frames systems out there. Mine was heavy, a pain in the ass to rig, transport, store...

So, now that I've sold my old cat and bought a round boat I'm thinking, yeah, my raft is sweet, but, I'd still like to have a small cat for playing around with. Older ocelot tubes in good shape can be found for a grand or less, still slay it on class 4 and 5, and are super fun to row.

It might sound excessive, but a quiver of 3 rafts is fairly reasonable: My 15.6 Sotar for multi-day western stuff, the super puma for R-2ing, and a 14' cat for steep, technical rivers where I'd rather be on the sticks than paddling...

It just might work-I just read the post on nrs universal drop rails and got some more ideas.

Thanks man
Old 02-17-2012   #10

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I started the recent thread about the NRS universal drop rails. I don't have a raft....just wanted to keep all my 66 inch NRS frame stuff, but use the drop rails instead of the yokes to save weight & be able to get a bit more width on my Cat frame. The NRS universal frame was made to do exactly what you are talking about.....one frame for both Cat & raft use. If the dimensions work for both boats, then I don't see why it wouldn't be a good way to go to save some money. And yes, NRS will make the drops to the length & depth you want for an extra $10, plus shipping if you want something different than what they offer stock.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote