Mountain Buzz banner

R4

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  wfinley 
#1 ·
I am considering an R4 purchase for a paddle boat with the option of hauling gear for overnights weekend trips. I have looked at the Aire Puma and Super Puma. Is the Puma too small? Any other boats I should consider? Thank you for your input.

#2 ·
Plenty of other great options, that folks will probably chime in with, but the regular puma would be fine.
I Got friends that R4 there’s down cross, and I’ve seen it run Westy, middle fork, and Cat just fine. It went down the Grand before they owned it.
Not a ton of space, but they are good little boats.

#3 ·
Something along the lines of an E-130 wouldn’t be bad either. Used to be my paddle boat in the Royal gorge, for non high water, and smaller loads, kinda got very partial to them.
You won’t be able to haul a ton of gear or people if you get an R-4 sized boat to do overnights in, but you can certainly pull it off, if you plan out the rest of the stuff to be smaller and lighter weight. Boom box instead of full sized groover, pop pit, instead of full sized groove, small stove or just a blaster and some boilbags, etc. it can be really nice to haul less crap sometimes, I’ve done 5 days by my self, out of my 11’ paddle Cat with frame, and been pretty darn comfortable on the river.

#10 ·
FlyingDutchman, thanks for the photos!

I will add that I have had fun times on the Ark with me on the oars and a couple paddlers up front. Numbers, Fractions, Browns, the Royal Gorge all fun to do. With the paddlers there to power thru tight spots, the Super Puma boats for me like many of the kayak lines I used to take on the Ark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.