R4 - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
R4

I am considering an R4 purchase for a paddle boat with the option of hauling gear for overnights weekend trips. I have looked at the Aire Puma and Super Puma. Is the Puma too small? Any other boats I should consider? Thank you for your input.

Scott Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Plenty of other great options, that folks will probably chime in with, but the regular puma would be fine.
I Got friends that R4 there’s down cross, and I’ve seen it run Westy, middle fork, and Cat just fine. It went down the Grand before they owned it.
Not a ton of space, but they are good little boats.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Fraser, Colorado
Something along the lines of an E-130 wouldn’t be bad either. Used to be my paddle boat in the Royal gorge, for non high water, and smaller loads, kinda got very partial to them.
You won’t be able to haul a ton of gear or people if you get an R-4 sized boat to do overnights in, but you can certainly pull it off, if you plan out the rest of the stuff to be smaller and lighter weight. Boom box instead of full sized groover, pop pit, instead of full sized groove, small stove or just a blaster and some boilbags, etc. it can be really nice to haul less crap sometimes, I’ve done 5 days by my self, out of my 11’ paddle Cat with frame, and been pretty darn comfortable on the river.
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Calgary, Alberta
I've done many overnights up to 6 days in my 13 footer, with room to spare.

And R4 or R5 no problem.
cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

Gunnison, colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nelson View Post
I am considering an R4 purchase for a paddle boat with the option of hauling gear for overnights weekend trips. I have looked at the Aire Puma and Super Puma. Is the Puma too small? Any other boats I should consider? Thank you for your input.
Overnights and weekend trips you say? Yeah the Aire Puma is a fantastic ride for such occasions!
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Love my Hyside Max 12 for R4 and also have a multi day setup for it as well. Great boat and super burly.
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

Jenks, Oklahoma
I have many rafting buds with Super Pumas and that seems to be the small raft of choice for multi days. Great for one, works well for two if you pack light.

a few with Pumas and they seem to work well for one person not too well for two.

The Super Puma would be my recommendation.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
Go Super! Good for one, good for two, four, five or six.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	19DFF3A0-A5A4-4C1F-AD65-F7EE73CE0A6F_1567306732264.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	38885   Click image for larger version

Name:	785E257F-6791-4526-8842-1CE6766D9953_1567306747069.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	38887  

Click image for larger version

Name:	00D74A7D-6C61-4C89-9369-E035A8061D78_1567306764237.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	38889   Click image for larger version

Name:	400DE86B-7C5A-4332-827D-A034BCC4B025_1567306799472.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	38891  

FlyingDutchman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9

Fraser, Colorado
Thanks for the pics Flying Dutchman, you guys sure have some beautiful rivers back in that part of the world!
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10

Jenks, Oklahoma
FlyingDutchman, thanks for the photos!

I will add that I have had fun times on the Ark with me on the oars and a couple paddlers up front. Numbers, Fractions, Browns, the Royal Gorge all fun to do. With the paddlers there to power thru tight spots, the Super Puma boats for me like many of the kayak lines I used to take on the Ark.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote