R2 Safety Gear? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-27-2017   #1

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
R2 Safety Gear?

Heading over to Hells Canyon Saturday. It's running at about 65,000 CFS. What kind of safety gear do you take? I am in a 13' Spider so space is pretty limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2017   #2
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
My Super Puma (13 ft) 3 thwarts is rigged with:
Spare Paddle x2
Thwart handle w/ throw bag on ring
First Aid Kit in 50cal can > in thwart bag
Pin Kit in Small Dry Bag > in thwart bag
Soft Cooler with beer / food
Watershed with extra clothes / food
Dry Suit
Pfd with short bag, pin kit, lighter, knife, whistle
Waist throw bag
Old 04-28-2017   #3

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
Spare paddle x1 (unless you have cheap paddles then x2).
Throw bag clipped into boat.
Dry bag with food, extra layer or two, lighter, small first aid kit. Water bottle.

I clip a extra beaner or two to the bow or stern d-ring. I skip the heavy duty pin kit, and plan on using throw bags. A tight raft is less likely to wrap. Also a raft that is not loaded down with gear is more likely to bounce or slide off rocks/logs rather than pin/wrap.

If only one raft, I would wear my waist throw bag, and keep a lighter and granola bar in Pfd pocket in case things really start to suck and you are walking down river hoping you flipped boat is in an eddy somewhere. I have never had to walk far for a raft, but my dagger RPM ghost ran a few miles when I was 19 and dumb.

Keep it simple, less to worry about.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2017   #4

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
How about a small top off pump and patch kit?
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017   #5
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
Doc, I forgot that. I keep a k-pump mini in the thwart bag as well. It is a great top off pump, would blow having to air up the boat, but it could be done. I also have a 30cal can that is misc/personal stuff: Tools, sunscreen, tear aid, duct tape, dr.b's soap, tooth brush etc. The thwart bag is an Aire XL Splashproof pocket. Aire does not seem to make this anymore, but their thwart bag would be ok. For a cooler, I have the yeti hopper, but the Ozark trail looks like it could be rigged well as well. I use bags as rescue rope for extraction and like having the small Astral in my vest and the larger Salamander on my waist. I can set up a 70+ft pig rig with what I have on me. I don't like a cluttered boat and try to keep everything tight and clean. No beaners dangling from d rings or my vest. I also like 2 spare paddles so that if all hell breaks loose, I still can paddle out with a partner. I don't like expensive paddles because they can distract you from self rescue or helping others when your $300 paddle is floating down river. I've also had to give a spare to another boat a time or 2.
Old 04-28-2017   #6

Salem, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Here is my list of must haves. You will find most of it overlaps with the above mentions. I assume from your previous posts, you are planning a single day float of the canyon. This list only addresses day trip concerns.

R2 Safety Gear:
- PFD, helmet, and drysuit (or other splash gear) - all worn of course.
- Patch kit + top off pump
- Spare paddle x 2
- Dry bag: contains extra fleece, First Aid kit, headlamp, lighter, water-purifier, and extra food.
- Water bottle (attached via carabiner to a strap)
- Flip strap: I attach a 15' cam strap around the girth of the boat, allowing a quick re-flip if necessary. Very handy on big water R2'ing.
- Throw bag clicked to thwart x 2 (one front and one back)

- Pin Kit: (worn under dry suit or in PFD) 3 biners, 2 pulleys, 20' tubular webbing, 12' prussik cord.

For your trip, I would also include a full days worth (or two) of dehydrated food in a dry bag with my backpacking stove. Just in case

The only real difference I think in my list (aside from placement of items) is that I would always have a flip strap on the boat in case you get tossed in one of the bigger rapids and need a quick re-flip.

I've also worn a throw bag's worth of rope, but it's not comfy and given the volume of the Snake I don't think that will help you much if you truly wrap your boat. In that situation you are likely to need additional boats and assistance to retrieve mid-stream equipment.
Old 04-28-2017   #7

Salem, Oregon
Oh, I almost forgot. Also toss in a wag bag for each, just in case.
Old 04-28-2017   #8

Pueblo, CO, Colorado
Uriah, how do you rig the flip line? Does it just go around the boat and across the top? I've always hung onto my paddle and used that on the chicken line to flip my mini-max, but it would be nice to not have to crawl back on top.
sauth857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017   #9

Salem, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauth857 View Post
Uriah, how do you rig the flip line? Does it just go around the boat and across the top? I've always hung onto my paddle and used that on the chicken line to flip my mini-max, but it would be nice to not have to crawl back on top.
The paddle flip works fine for small boats lightly loaded. But if you drop your paddle, what then?

I run a Aire SDP (Super-Duper Puma). 14' is a little large for R2, but it is narrow, fast, and very maneuverable even with two paddlers. The SDP has a lace in floor. I run a 15' cam strap through the floor laces, under the boat, and back up through the laces on the other side. Then I simply cinch the strap tight and feed the excess strap length back under the boat to trail in the water.

You can't flip the boat while in the water, but the strap certainly makes climbing onto the flipped boat easy, and gives you a quick way to re-flip with or without a paddle. Also it is faster than needing to get out a flip line or waist throw bag too.

I did just cut up a 15' strap though on the Jarbidge this spring. Not needed so much for shallow rocky rivers But on big water I never put on without it.