R2 paddle - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-16-2017   #1

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
R2 paddle

What kind of paddles do you use when R2ing? Do you use the standard 60" length or opt for more of a guide stick 72" length?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2017   #2
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I like something in the normal Custie length, Guide sticks just tend to be too long when sitting down on the tube. For my 11' Culebra with 19" tubes, I have some paddles with a little kid length shaft, much nicer for when you are sitting super low in a small boat.
Old 04-16-2017   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Most folks I know use the standard 60 inch. A couple companies make fancy guide paddles that length. I use the Werner guide stick in that length. My petite girlfriend rocks a 54 inch Werner canoe paddle. The chin height rule of thumb is a good benchmark. A 72 inch paddle would suck R2ing unless you are like seven feet tall or paddling a sweep boat.
almortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2017   #4

FOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 91
Any regular old custie Carlisle paddle. They work better if they were found and not bought.
Critter70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017   #5
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
58 (<18in tube) to 60 (>18in tube) inch standard raft paddle. Prefer plastic coat over aluminum, standard T grip. A nice / custom paddle will only distract you when it goes down the river without you. Carry at least 2 spares. Kids like 52 to 54 inch, but can use 58/60. Guide sticks are long and heavy, I prefer not to use.
Old 04-16-2017   #6

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
Isn't the guide stick length more for the paddle captain in the stern where you need the extra length to account for the fact they often sit near the rear kick of the raft (higher up) plus they have to take bigger strokes to manoeuvre the boat?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzzy
Old 04-16-2017   #7

FOCO, Colorado
I would say 80% of the guides I know use a custy stick. Carsisle plastic
Old 04-16-2017   #8

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
Isn't that bc a lot of guides just use what they are provided by the company and are na´ve to what's really out there product wise?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzzy
Old 04-17-2017   #9

FOCO, Colorado
I've used just about every guide stick made, currently have a Werner. I have one because the company I used to work for required you to use a guide stick, let's not get into their rationale. There great for big water andall, but as you gain skill your using the river as much as possible. That would be like saying a big strong guy is a better guide then a smaller women, because I can move more easier, not even close. Lots of Colorado water is so rockie most of the season your just beating the crap out of it anyway, plus when you crash and burn, if you disgracefully drop your stick after a flip, you can always grab a custy stick fast that way no one ever needs to know hahaha.
Don't get me wrong they are nice, but it's the poor craftsman that has to blame it on their tools. And totally not needed for R2.
Old 04-17-2017   #10

Medford, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeyCatr View Post
Isn't that bc a lot of guides just use what they are provided by the company and are na´ve to what's really out there product wise?
Most guides and boaters eventually realize that the brand and type of paddle doesn't matter a whole lot or at all.
WillCarson is offline   Reply With Quote