Quick Trailer Question - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-19-2016   #1

little rock, Arkansas
Quick Trailer Question

This week I took delivery of a fourteen foot Trib and a 6x14 (cargo area) utility trailer. Big week! This summer my daughter and I plan to fancy the trailer up but for now I just want to mod it enough to handle the Trib safely. My plan is to carpet three 2x4s, lay them across the trailer and U bolt them to the pipe (pipe top trailer). The bunk carpet comes in twelve foot rolls so I'll probably just get two rolls and use eight foot 2x4s. The boat is 6'10" so I'm thinking that should work out great.

I intend to set it up so there are about two feet of open trailer in front of the boat for gear which of course means there will a couple feet of boat hanging off the back of the trailer, but I don't see this is a problem since the flat section will be well supported and secured.

Anyone see any issues with this plan?

lncoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2016   #2

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Do a google image search on "raft trailer" and you will see that 99 percent of raft trailers are only big enough to support the bottom of the boat and that the ends of the boats usually extend past the trailer on the front and back. For me I did that on purpose with my old trailer because launch and takeout areas have very limited parking so I wanted as small of a trailer as possible that would support the boat. In other words you'll be fine. Just make sure that you have 60 percent of the loaded weight in front of the axles so that you don't shake the trailer.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016   #3

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Use 2x6 pressure treated- 2x4 will bend excessively. The grey outdoor carpet at Home Depot works great- I applied with stainless steel 3/8" staples and a pneumatic stapler. For a roller across the rear 2x6, I bought 2 90 degree threaded pipe ends with footings and a section of threaded plumbing pipe (also home depot). Covered it with 3 short sections of pvc and it just screws together. It rolls just fine and requires zero maintenance.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2016   #4

little rock, Arkansas
Thanks guys. Osseous, I'm guessing the rear cross member is higher than the others because of the roller assembly. Does part of the boat sit on it?
Old 02-19-2016   #5

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I took a similar approach with my trailer I added two 12' 2x12's on my 2x4 crossmembers. That way my boat has continous support.

Depending on the height of your gear you may still be able to center your boat as the rocker will give you space under the bow.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016   #6

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I didn't bother with carpet either not sure it would help in any meaningful way.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016   #7

I used doubled 2x6 in the roller position. My boat rests on the roller, with not much pressure. My trailer is just 10'- boat is 15', so yours would not touch. I run a strap across that area and use the corners supporting the roller as a lashing point for that strap. The carpet gives the sand somewhere to go so it doesn't rub the raft fabric while towing. Otherwise it can have a sandpaper effect.

Old 02-19-2016   #8

little rock, Arkansas
So how many 2x6 cross members total do you have? It sounds like the roller is positioned under the stern kick so there's not as much contact?
Old 02-19-2016   #9

That is correct- 3 additional cross members, plus the roller.

Old 02-19-2016   #10

little rock, Arkansas
Got it. Thanks! You just completed the puzzle for me. I was back and forth on whether to add a roller and had finally decided against it in the interest of expediency, but now I'm going to do it. I know I'll be glad I did.