Quality white water raft, for little money. - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-01-2012   #1

Eden, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Quality white water raft, for little money.

This my first time posting on th MB forum. My question is i'm looking to buy a raft aprox 14 feet, give or take a few inches, but i don't have alot of money to spend on one, you could call me a weekend warrior. I normaly will go with someone i know who has a boat or i rent form the University in town for around a hundred a day. I guess you could say i spend 5 or 6 days a summer on the water. We normally go on the snake in Jackson hole Wy, or to Moab area in Utah, but i would like to try a few new areas ,close to home (Northern Utah), if anyone has any suggestions let me know. I have been looking at the saturn raft and the baltic and at the Aquos, they range from 1300.00 to 1700.00, I think the saturn is the best of the three, i think, I know maxxon makes a raft for just under two thousand, and rockymountain around 2400.00, I just can't justify spending any more than acouple of thousand at Most, for a few days a year on the river. I have also been looking for a quality used raft such as an aires or hyside maravia or nrs or avon, but no luck. please let me know if anyone has any suggestions on which raft is the best for the money. Thanks Kevin from Eden Utah. PS It has to be a SB floor.

hevykev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I think River Boat Works in Salida Colorado have lasts years Rocky Mountain rafts on sale right now, a friend of mine told me they had a new 13 ft for $1700. Rocky Mountain rafts are much better quality IMO than the other boats you are looking at. Might be worth the travel and you could get some early season boating in on the ark.
ccombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012   #3

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
You should probably also consider that once you have your own boat, you're probably going to be inclined to spend more time on the river, perhaps making the cost for a higher quality boat easier to swollow over time. That's what happened to me.
clinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012   #4
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Maravia has some great deals on used gear right now. I would rather have used Maravia than most new boats. Exceptions - Sotar, Avon, Aire, and the Nrs/Hyside but that's me.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012   #5

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Decent deal on a 16' cat in the swap right now.
Old 03-01-2012   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevykev View Post
This my first time posting on th MB forum. My question is i'm looking to buy a raft aprox 14 feet, give or take a few inches, but i don't have alot of money to spend on one, you could call me a weekend warrior. I normaly will go with someone i know who has a boat or i rent form the University in town for around a hundred a day. I guess you could say i spend 5 or 6 days a summer on the water. We normally go on the snake in Jackson hole Wy, or to Moab area in Utah, but i would like to try a few new areas ,close to home (Northern Utah), if anyone has any suggestions let me know. I have been looking at the saturn raft and the baltic and at the Aquos, they range from 1300.00 to 1700.00, I think the saturn is the best of the three, i think, I know maxxon makes a raft for just under two thousand, and rockymountain around 2400.00, I just can't justify spending any more than acouple of thousand at Most, for a few days a year on the river. I have also been looking for a quality used raft such as an aires or hyside maravia or nrs or avon, but no luck. please let me know if anyone has any suggestions on which raft is the best for the money. Thanks Kevin from Eden Utah. PS It has to be a SB floor.
If you want a true SB then I would look at a Maxxon. I have a few for 1700 new, in Denver, Co.
Originalballigerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012   #7
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalballigerent View Post
If you want a true SB then I would look at a Maxxon. I have a few for 1700 new, in Denver, Co.
Implying that the others are not true Self Bailers???

Hmmmm......smells funny to me.

Does it quack like a duck?
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
Implying that the others are not true Self Bailers???

Hmmmm......smells funny to me.

Does it quack like a duck?
No but for the price, new, Maxxon is a quality boat. Saturn, Auquamarine etc you could make the floor in the garage. Thats what Im implying.
Originalballigerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012   #9

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
It seems like there are a lot of quality boats with frames and oars FS at the moment in the $2500 price range. That is what you would end up paying if you bought a new Saturn. If you take your time and wait it out you should be able to pick something up.

When I first boat my boat I weighed the rental vs buy option and figured I would break even in 4 or 5 years, but once I had the raft in the garage I found lots of reasons to use it and I think I broke even in my second season.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012   #10

RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
$$$ saving Boats

I have owned 2 boats in my 20+ years on the"River" Both of them were purchased from companies. I currently row my 14" HYSIDE, 1991' boat. I bought this boat for $880. I spend well over 150 days a year living off of this raft. My coolers came from the docks of "Bullfrog Marina" and my drybox was a gift from friend. I have a $1,000 into it, And many many more miles to go!
Used boats from rafting companies are the way to go. I don't know where you live, But if you can get Moab, Price is the best you can get!