PVC repair - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-13-2013   #1

aurora, Colorado
PVC repair

I am repairing a pvc boat, the factory patch kit must of came with some two part epoxy like glue. It was old so we went and got new glue and the raft shop recommended HH-66 one part glue. The looked around the web and it appears this glue is being used for raft repair. It looks like 3 coats with drying between the first two.

So has anyone on here actually used this type of glue? Should I try it or order some new stuff from the factory?

Thanks

lazylabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013   #2

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1896
Much can be said but to that purpose, instead, research Vynabond, Clifton, or Stabond. PVC can be repaired reliably, but it takes very careful prep. It will involve MEK, which can dissolve your boat if mishandled, and if you do not research that extensively, experiment, and handle it carefully you deserve the consequences. If that makes you nervous, there are a number of firms that do an excellent job at PVC boat repair, and some of them advertise on buzz.
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013   #3

aurora, Colorado
So have you used this type of glue or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013   #4

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1896
Yep.
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013   #5

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Thats what I use for my PVC boat. Clean with Mek, trace your patch with a pen, round the corners on your patch or make it round, 3 coats start with a thin coat and do the 3rd a bit thicker.
Old 07-14-2013   #6

aurora, Colorado
Thanks for some helpful information.
Old 07-14-2013   #7

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
3 years ago we used a single part glue on the floor of a bucket boat we tore up. 6 inch L shaped tear! Not sure which brand we had though. Partner didn't even have MEK for prep and that repair has been solid for three yrs. No lifting edges at all. Just saw it the other day and looks like we just patched it.
mtfunfloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #8

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
No Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Much can be said but to that purpose, instead, research Vynabond, Clifton, or Stabond. PVC can be repaired reliably, but it takes very careful prep. It will involve MEK, which can dissolve your boat if mishandled, and if you do not research that extensively, experiment, and handle it carefully you deserve the consequences. If that makes you nervous, there are a number of firms that do an excellent job at PVC boat repair, and some of them advertise on buzz.
JohnR, are you trying to be a dick, or does it just come natural? He asked a question about glue and you told him he was stupid. If you don't have something helpful to add, don't respond to question! No,I don't have anything helpful to add, but I would like to know what experienced boaters think about this glue situation. Looking for answers without being called stupid!

Kim
kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #9

Vail, CO
Paddling Since: 2008
I didn't get anything "dick"ish out of his post. Nor do I see where he called the OP stupid???

He pointed out that severity of how MEK reacts to PVC (which is true) and said the OP should research this relationship to better understand it.

What's wrong with that??
Old 07-17-2013   #10

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
FWIW, consequences of using MEK include risks to your lungs and brain.

Dick-ish or cautionary?

I vote cautionary.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote