PVC Pipe cleaner- MEK? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 07-07-2018   #1

Blue River, Colorado
PVC Pipe cleaner- MEK?

I don't want to buy a big can of MEK. I just tried a small round can of PVC pipe cleaner to clean a D-ring patch area on an RMR Phatcat, my first inflatable. Clifton urethane glue. Bad idea? I await your wisdom, rafters. And thanks for hauling my beer all those years.

kneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2018   #2

C. Springs, Colorado
Does the can say cleaner or primer? What does the can list on it's ingredients? MEK?

Everyone wants to sell you MEK substitute. It isn't the same thing.

I've always used stabond as my PVC glue.

You can use alcohol as a cleaner too
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018   #3
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
MEK Substitute can/may/will separate the substrate from the coating. A great way to devalue a boat quickly. Buy, Beg, Borrow or Steal the real thing: MEK. May not be available in nanny states, um.. California.
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2018   #4

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
MEK attacks the PVC, softening it for the adhesive to bond and dulling the shine. Too much MEK will weaken the coating on the boat, no MEK and the glue may not bond well. Alcohol will clean the PVC, but not dull it.

I wouldn't use any chemicals that I was not %100 sure of what it is. I am not sure, but I think that PVC primer contains THF which is a more powerful solvent that will melt PVC.

The PVC coating on raft fabric is very thin relative to PVC pipe and shower pan liner. Thus the solvents and adhesives made for pipe and pan liner can pack a much bigger solvent wallop without the same delamination concerns of PVC coated nylon raft material.

It is an expensive raft, just get the right stuff.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018   #5

Blue River, Colorado
Never Again

Thanks! I won't do that again. I'll drive into town to get MEK. You the best, every one of you.
kneth is offline   Reply With Quote