Push or pull with pins and clips - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-30-2017   #1
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
Push or pull with pins and clips

This is not another open locks vs pins and clips debate. I have noticed throughout the years that some people pull the oar toward the pin and others push toward the pin. Just wondering what you do and why. If I was better with this interweb thing I'd post pictures of the 2 ways I keep seeing.

NoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2017   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
If you are talking about which side of the pin the oar sits on, I always had mine on the other side of the oar tower from me. Its sort of hard to explain, but since there is some rotation of the oar shaft due to slop in the pin, it always felt like I could get more solid strokes when it was set up that way since the blade of the oar had a slight angle to it. Having the oar on the far side of the pin made the powerful pull strokes more solid and the push strokes that are more finesse feel right. I definitely could have rotated where the clip was on the oar to make it a perfect 90 degrees when it was on the clip, but never got around to it before switching to Oar Locks.

The oars also felt too close if they were on the close side, and since I inherited this setup from another dude and it was welded solid to the frame it felt like it was the right way to go having it on the further side from me. This also has the benefit of having the oars on the outside of the oar towers when you ship the oars which makes it marginally easier to move around the boat. I also have a bimini that was mounted to the top of my oar towers, and it works MUCH better to have the oars on the outside when that thing is collapsed.

I'm sure you could make it work either way though.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I'm not sure it matters much, but if you choose to put the oar on the far side of the pin (from the rowers perspective) it might reduce the distance required to fully ship the oars by a few inches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2017   #4

Denver, Colorado
Does seem like the stronger pull stroke should lever off the oar shaft and the weaker push stroke should lever off the clip.
markhusbands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017   #5

Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
The oar should be pin on the pin not the clip. Al though after popping an oar in a rapid I have stuck them on backwards just to have something to row with.
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017   #6
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by raftus View Post
I'm not sure it matters much, but if you choose to put the oar on the far side of the pin (from the rowers perspective) it might reduce the distance required to fully ship the oars by a few inches.
That is my opinion too.

Now when I row my backstroke is much more powerful than my front stroke but I paddle forward way more than back. With that in mind wouldn't pushing on the pins make more sense? I don't know I guess that's why I'm asking.
Old 05-01-2017   #7

Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCo View Post
That is my opinion too.

Now when I row my backstroke is much more powerful than my front stroke but I paddle forward way more than back. With that in mind wouldn't pushing on the pins make more sense? I don't know I guess that's why I'm asking.
pushing on the oars offers very little power. Always use the backstroke to run a rapid, I do push on the oars to pick up speed on entry but pivot and pull for everything else.
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017   #8
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
I push alot in rapids because I'm taking advantage of a pair of paddlers assisting. With no paddle assist I pull more. The question I'm asking is what do you do and why?
Old 05-01-2017   #9
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhusbands View Post
Does seem like the stronger pull stroke should lever off the oar shaft and the weaker push stroke should lever off the clip.
That's correct, since an oars mans stronger stroke is pulling, having the oar shaft forward of the pin is stronger. Could you bend your pins setting em up the other way? I don't know, but this is how I learned, and since it makes sense to me, it's how I set mine up at least.
Old 05-01-2017   #10

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
That's correct, since an oars mans stronger stroke is pulling, having the oar shaft forward of the pin is stronger. Could you bend your pins setting em up the other way? I don't know, but this is how I learned, and since it makes sense to me, it's how I set mine up at least.
Or rather bend the clip, right? They seem stout, but they are designed for a little flex to get them locked on the pin, right? So it seems like if you set the shaft on the stern side and the clip on the bow side of the pin, and laid into them with a mighty big manly pull stroke, you could get some flex in the clip. But really, probably barely, since the pin sits up in the crook of the pin where there wouldn't be much flex. Intuitively, though, oar in front seems right, and I say that based on no meaningful experience with them whatsoever. Fun guessing, though.
markhusbands is online now   Reply With Quote