Pump recommendation - Aire Super Duper Puma - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-13-2015   #1

Roanoke, Virginia
Pump recommendation - Aire Super Duper Puma

I just purchased a used Aire Super Duper Puma. I'm 45 and was a raft guide for NOC (Southeast US) through college, and am really a whitewater canoeist, but purchased the raft for family trips on runs bigger than work for us in solo boats. We'll run Chattooga IV, Ocoee, Nolichucky, New Gorge, and probably Lower Gauley in the raft, and the Maury, French Broad, New above the gorge, and Chattooga III in our canoes, for example.

I need to pick out a pump. Commercially we always used 120V pumps at the start of the day. I've never used a manual pump.

While sometimes we will pump the raft at home and carry it inflated on the roof, more typically we will have several hardboats on the roof and carry the raft deflated inside as part of a longer trip. Thus, we'll need to pump it up at the put-in. I've no interest in a trailer.

I'm interested in advice between getting a Carlson barrel pump (4" or 6") and just pumping manually, or whether it is better to get a 12V electric pump and a top-off pump.

I don't mind pumping for 10 minutes or so at a moderate pace with a barrel pump, but I just don't have a feel for how much effort it will take. I like the lack of a motor on a barrel pump, and the Super Duper Puma is a modest sized raft (probably a small raft by western standards).

Since I've never rafted non-commercially, I don't have a feel for how it would be one way or the other, and I was hoping to get a perspective from those who pump their raft up at the river.

Thank you.

wildwaterc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2015   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I recommend a 12-volt blower to go with a top off foot pump. There's lots of good info on pumps here and here.

Unless your blower is better than anything I've ever seen before, never rely on a blower to completely inflate a boat. I've done that before and the boat goes squishy on the rio if the water's much colder than the air temp.

Have fun and be safe!

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015   #3

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Cheap 12v blower pump + top off like the k100.

The best 12v inflators still require a top off pump.

or actually the k-40 is what I have. Love it. Small enough to strap in to a thwart and forget about it. Barrels are $$$ and unweildy on the boat.

If you want a backup plan buy the closeout NRS barrel pumps or even a coleman mattress pump at a mass merchandiser. They arent' durable but they do an OK job if the 12v dies.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2015   #4

Before I trailered I used a lvm pump with a 12v battery I would recharge (think something like a 7 to 12 ah motorcycle battery) and a wonder pump to top off. The lvm's are great because even though they are a bit noisy they get the job done fast and are repairable.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015   #5

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
Even if you have an electric pump that fills your tubes completely you still need a pump on the boat. Temperature changes and repairs are obvious reasons to carry one. I also like the K-pumps but I would get the 200. YMMV

Jim
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015   #6
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
If you ever do an on-river repair you will hate having just a top off pump - it's all but impossible to fully inflate with one. If you ever have a power issue or your electric pump fails you will hate having a top off pump. Foot pumps suck and k-pumps are less than ideal. Get a Carlson 4". If you store your boat inflated it's all you ever need. If you transport it deflated consider the electric pump as a convenience.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015   #7

Seattle, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
If you ever do an on-river repair you will hate having just a top off pump - it's all but impossible to fully inflate with one.
what the? all but impossible? Like, the pump suddenly fails to move air? I mean a top off pump is optimized for that final topping up pressure, so how on earth is it all but impossible to fully inflate?

I think you mean it is slow and trying to move so little air at a time. But that's hardly "all but impossible!" Crack a beer, take turns, no sweat.

Foot pumps are great for those with sore backs, and work absolutely as well as any other pumps. My 1970's avon footpump works as good as my 4" carlson.

K-pumps are not less than ideal, either, they serve a couple of excellent needs better than any other pump. For example, the 2 stage pumps handle large volume low pressure while filling the tubes, then change gears and deliver 20psi for a dropstitch SUP, all in one pump.

The mini k-pump is the lightest, smallest pump on the market, will fit in a watershed ocoee, and is my on river pump for fly-in IK runs, Raft and cat boat day trips.

The only pump I'd stay away from are wonderpumps. They work great for the money but are misery for your back. They are for the kids to use on the tahitis!!
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015   #8
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I have an 1500 watt inverter mounted in the back of my suburban. I use it to power a little 1hp shopvac that I use to inflate rafts/ik's etc at the put in, it gets them up to soft pressure, then I top off with a barrel (usually only about 6 to 10 pumps on that to full pressure) the shopvac makes short work of inflating the boats. but some of the 12v high volume pumps could probably do the same thing. I just put the inverter in for car camping. That and I work from home telecommuting, so camping and being able to "work" are a nice combination. :-p
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015   #9
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickhorn View Post
what the? all but impossible? Like, the pump suddenly fails to move air? I mean a top off pump is optimized for that final topping up pressure, so how on earth is it all but impossible to fully inflate?

I think you mean it is slow and trying to move so little air at a time. But that's hardly "all but impossible!" Crack a beer, take turns, no sweat.

Foot pumps are great for those with sore backs, and work absolutely as well as any other pumps. My 1970's avon footpump works as good as my 4" carlson.

K-pumps are not less than ideal, either, they serve a couple of excellent needs better than any other pump. For example, the 2 stage pumps handle large volume low pressure while filling the tubes, then change gears and deliver 20psi for a dropstitch SUP, all in one pump.

The mini k-pump is the lightest, smallest pump on the market, will fit in a watershed ocoee, and is my on river pump for fly-in IK runs, Raft and cat boat day trips.

The only pump I'd stay away from are wonderpumps. They work great for the money but are misery for your back. They are for the kids to use on the tahitis!!
Here we go again. I feel like I've had this discussion ten times on here. This will be the last - from now on people will have to use the "search" function if they want this good advice.

Top off pumps take hours (plural) to inflate a full sized raft. The cheap 2-way top off pumps I've seen break eventually and this is certainly likely with the thousands of pumps required to fully fill a boat. I promise you'll wish you had bought a barrel pump before the raft is 1/4 full. If you have already burned a day fixing a raft you probably want to pump it up and get going - not spend time taking turns and drinking beers while you wonder if it's working (and if the patch is good). For remote locations a cheap, low volume pump is just not the right tool.

Foot pumps are shit. I've seen more broken foot pumps than working foot pumps. They are low volume and prone to failure - just like the pumps mentioned above. That's all I have to say about foot pumps. Buy one if you want a ghetto method for inflation. Thousands on a raft and $20 for a pool-toy inflator?

K Pumps are not the best choice for your raft if it has exterior valves because you can't top off while on the water. Now in previous discussions some clever soul has always chimed in and noted that they have found a way to outfit their K Pump with a hose. Wonderful - you've created a harder-to-pump Carlson, why not just buy one in the first place? K Pumps use just the arms and not the whole body and exhausting to inflate a full-sized raft with.

I use a K Pump mini for my IKs as well ( I love it. It's well made by good people), but for the pump on a raft they are absolutely "less than ideal". I once tried to use a K Pump mini to inflate a 14 foot boat. I was selling the boat and only had to pump it up one time. I stopped after an hour and went to CKS to buy a 4" barrel pump for $100 because it was barely doing anything. Too much volume in a full sized raft for that little pump! To recap: this broke raft guide would rather spend $100 than pump up a raft with a little K Pump Mini.

Most K Pumps don't have a check valve either - and I like my pump to be functional for every raft on the trip, even if it has old military valves. This also defeats the "but I have a Sotar and my valves are on the inside." Redundant equipment on a trip is safer and more convenient for everyone and every boat.

The Carlson 4" Barrel Pump is definitely compact enough for storage on a raft. It can easily inflate the entire boat in minutes at the put-in. It can top off in a few moments - allowing more time on the water. Most importantly - it is the standard for durability in pumps; it will last for decades with proper care. Why would you chose a lesser tool for half the price?
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015   #10

Ashevile, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1995
Raft pump

I own a Super Duper Puma and use a LVM 12 volt electric pump for initial inflation and a medium K pump for top off and while on the river. I have used a large barrel Carlson/NRS barrel pump but don't own one (yet); expensive! To me the LVM is invaluable. Don't try to hand pump it, it's harder than you think. My 2 cents. Daniel
Raftnc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aire