Pump it, waaahhpssshhh, Pump it real good - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-14-2015   #1
FISHTARD

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
Pump it, waaahhpssshhh, Pump it real good

Keep my boat trailered and inflated so trying to find a good top-off pump.

13ft RMR w/C7 valves.

Used to use a double-action $30 pump to top it off with the retrofitted nozzle but sold my old boat and tossed that in with it.

I hear the K-pumps are a good bet but what size would I need to fill up 1/3 and top off? Something that stores easy and small as space might be an issue sometimes with my full DRE fishing frame....

Are the k-pumps a pain in the ass? I think I recall Phil at DRE mentioning you need 2 people r something? Or something about the nozzle not locking into the valve?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2015   #2

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
K pumps work great with just one person. The pain is topping off once.you are on the river. The pump end is facing away from you. Gotta pretty much be ashore. I have a K pump- but found I preferred the DRE 4" floor pump. Much less effort. Great product, made in Colorado by good folks.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015   #3
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Carlson 4" in a mesh bag. There's really no other option worth considering. Bombproof, greaseless, lasts forever, and you could inflate fully with it if you needed to.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2015   #4
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
DRE makes some bomber pumps. They aren't cheap.
Old 02-15-2015   #5

I have the K-pump 160 and couldn't be happier. It comes with a good quality bag and is easy to stow away.
It sometimes can be a pain to get to the valves on a rigged boat but having no hose on it makes it compact and they work well.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
H2OLetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
K pump K-40, dual stage so you can pump anything with it (SUP or boat). Easy to maintain, comes with adapters that fit just about all valves. I've had every pump you can think of, from the old Avon foot pump to Bravo to Carlson and the K-pump is the bomb.
I have 2 valves on my 6 chamber Incept that are hard to get to with the fame on, so I made a hose extension that's about a foot long and fits in the bag with the pump. No reason anyone with access issues couldn't do the same, rig together with duct tape and when you get it how you want it, glue up with some old boat glue (oe even Barge).
I've had one K-pump since 2007, no issues so far and it's a family-owned and run business, very friendly and great customer service. No plug, just fact.
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015   #7

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2OLetsGo View Post
I have the K-pump 160 and couldn't be happier. It comes with a good quality bag and is easy to stow away.
It sometimes can be a pain to get to the valves on a rigged boat but having no hose on it makes it compact and they work well.
The right 2 foot section of clear plastic tubing can help improve valve access on a rigged boat.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015   #8

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Hose helps for sure- but the design doesn't give the same mechanical advantage of a two hand floor pump. It's pretty much a shoulder workout rather than a whole body effort.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015   #9

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
Carlson 4" in a mesh bag. There's really no other option worth considering. Bombproof, greaseless, lasts forever, and you could inflate fully with it if you needed to.
+1.
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015   #10

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I love my k pump, Definitely a single person deal but small. I trailer and do a 2 sec push on each valve once on the trailer. 20 pumps into each valve and it's back up to pressure when launched. True it's a shoulder work out, but not bad, just toss it to your buddies and say "give 'em 20" then grab a beer and start working that shoulder.

A couple buddies use 4" Carlson and they're huge, yes the work great but take up half the drop bag. K100 works great and takes up much less space. .. my $.02

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app