Pump doesn't fit into military valves - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-10-2017   #1

Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Pump doesn't fit into military valves

Hey Buzzards,

I have a 5" NRS barrel pump and the end of the hose won't fit into the stainless steel military valves. But it's pretty close. I was thinking of just taking a razor bade and shaving off some plastic.

Does NRS make an adapter or other ideas?

Rapid Resolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2017   #2
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Never seen an adapter out there, but the pumps that Down river equipment sells, with the metal hose ends, work well with military valves. If you were to go with some sort of adapter, metal will slide better in the valve when you close, it then rubber does.
Maybe someone wants to trade you pumps, rubber end works way better with c-7's, since you can just jam it in there, and it will stay.
I would forgo the razor blade.
Old 04-11-2017   #3

little rock, Arkansas
I'm a little surprised the pump didn't come with one.

Leafield / Military Valve Adapter at nrs.com
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2017   #4

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
Also, when looking at inflating military valves, many pumps don't have a back flow stop. The new valves have a spring loaded stopper that prevents back flow. The military ones are just open flow or closed. Because most boats these days have newer valves nobody includes the back flow stopper on their pumps (cost savings). It makes it so that when you are pumping up a military valve, air gets sucked back up the hose to the pump and you pump the air twice. I don't want to pump twice. The back flow is worse when the raft pressure is higher and you are more tired from pumping. NRS makes a Flow Check device to add to your pump, but you have to do some work to place it.
I didn't have a pump when I bought my old Riken and just got an old Avon foot pump that was made with a flow check device (there's one on the Buzz Swap for 40 bucks) rather than buy a barrel pump and have to add the flow check device. The Avon pumps are bullet proof, but it sounds like you have a great pump, apart from the lack of flow check device. If you are ordering from NRS anyhow, you might as well add on the additional parts (you have to cut part of the pump so there is another part you will need to order because it will be destroyed.)

Flow Check Device
NRS Barrel Pump Flow Check Valve at nrs.com

Link to the swap product
vintage Avon pump - Mountain Buzz Gear Swap
altaholics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017   #5

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Military valves can be operated in such a way as to allow air to come in, but not go out. Works like this: Open the valve until it starts to blow air, then close it a quarter turn or til it stops blowing. Stick you finger in the hole and press on the center. If air comes out when you press, you're in business.

I like my valves full open for blowing from flat, then as I get close to topping off, I'll put the valve in the "one-way" mode.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote