Mountain Buzz banner

Proud new owner of ‘03 Aire 156r

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  MT4Runner 
#1 ·
First boat. It came w/ two thwarts & a perimeter line. Looking to outfit it & have it operational ASAP. I’d love to hear any suggestions you all might have and/or purchase gear you might want to contribute. What do you think!

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Hey all – I called AIRE w/ serial number. Low & behold, the the boat is a 143D. Definitely not a 156R. I actually decided to measure the thing & it comes out to 14’5. The old owner won’t take it back, so I’m going to roll with it. Let’s hope she floats.

#11 ·
That’s still a great boat. It looks good given its age. I have both a 156R and 14’ Outlaw, the latter of which I’ll sell one day to get a 143D or DD.

As for frames I’m liking NRS frames. Both of my boats have them. Years later, I’m still tweaking frame geometry and configurations for day trips and overnights. Probably a bit heavy, but the convenience of adjustment is good.

#12 ·
Welcome ratchetvc!

What are your rafting plans?

That 143D is a nimble, splashy ride. Super fun for paddle boating, not a gear pig.

Here's another member's recent 143D setup post:

#13 ·
I saw that post - looks like a great setup.

I'll primarily be doing day trips and paddle boating w/ friends, so I'm stoked to hear that its a splashy boat. However, I know I'd like to do a few occasional overnights. Unfortunately, I'm the only one with a boat rn, so I'm not sure it'd be possible to outfit for those, if I want to take more than 3-4 people.

Right now I'm in the market for a frame.Is there a frame that I could stern mount, if I wanted to try and carry 5-6 people w/ some gear, that I could also rig center if it were just me or me & a few other people?

Thanks!

#14 ·
Hey guys – I’m ordering my frame tomorrow, but I want to ensure I have the sizing correct:

AIRE 2003 143D
Listed specs for the boat:
W: 6’6
Tube diameter: 20”
C2C (according to math): 58”

So a 60”x82” Big horn II is what I’d ideally buy; HOWEVER, when I measure the boat myself with my tape measure & naked, caveman eyeball the C2C is 62” closer to 63”. The guy I bought it from said he measured it as 66” and rigged it as such, but he was wrong about a lot things.
Should I be fine with the 60” or do I need to go custom? Or do I rig with a 66”? Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.