Propane Tanks - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-19-2015   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Propane Tanks

Finally getting a proper stove, but curious to know what type of propane tanks everyone is using and how you are storing them on the boat.

Thanks in advance!

thaGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2015   #2

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaGoat View Post
Finally getting a proper stove, but curious to know what type of propane tanks everyone is using and how you are storing them on the boat.

Thanks in advance!
on longer trips, i'll bring along a 5# cylinder (or however big the smallest refillable cylinders are) with a couple of extra 1# cylinders. on short trips like overnighters or even 2 days where we're not doing a ton of cooking, i bring a couple of 1# cylinders.
Old 05-19-2015   #3

., ...
Paddling Since: 2010
I use a standard 20# tank and bungee it to a milk create. There's another option of the plastic tanks like this one fiberglass lightweight propane tank 20lb - summitoutdoorsgear.com
Pro Leisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2015   #4

C. Springs, Colorado
I have strapped my spare life jacket around a 20 lbs tank and it works great as a protecting device. I now own a 10lbs and a 5 lbs that covers about any trip I do. On our recent Deso trip, we went through a 10 lbs bottle and started on the 5lbs bottle on the last nights dinner. 18 people, no blaster, no big breakfasts in the morning, just coffee and hot water for grits and oatmeal. We still heated water for dishes each night.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015   #5

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1981
I replaced my Lite (recalled) with a 11lb Worthington that sells for about $50. It rides in 5 gal. bucket(s) in my drop bag. I have yet to empty it on week long summer trips for 8 peeps. Hoping to come across a cheap 5lb tank for shorter or smaller trips. Usually carry a couple of green pounders as spares; I am working on my first batch of refills, but hardly touch them.
geobucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015   #6

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I carry a 17lb Ragasco composite tank.. it has a plastic case around it that you can run a cam strap through and secure in on its side on your frame.. now I just drop it in my cascade everything bag that I put a beaver board in..
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015   #7

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by codycleve View Post
I carry a 17lb Ragasco composite tank.. it has a plastic case around it that you can run a cam strap through and secure in on its side on your frame.. now I just drop it in my cascade everything bag that I put a beaver board in..
So is Ragasco now the only composite on the market?
Old 05-19-2015   #8

salmon, Idaho
I think so, I remember last year in a thread there was another company that was getting off the ground. but I cant remember where I saw it..
Old 05-19-2015   #9

Coos Bay, 97420
I keep thinking of getting a 5# bottle but the 1# are so much easily stored, packed, used and don't require a hose. I have taken over a dozen people on a 3 day trip (which is more like 2 days as far as food is concerned) and only use 2 of the 1# bottles (but always take 3). I am only using it on a small 2 burner colmen style stove and a little BBQer. I just bought an adapter off ebay for like $8 so that I can refill the little one pounder's from my big one at home.
Bradd B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015   #10

salmon, Idaho
Went back through some old threads and found this.. Plastic Gas Composite Cylinder Manufacturers, Safety Fiber Cylinders.. Is this lite cylinders reinvented as litesafe.. humm