Propane Tank and Adapter Dependability - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeLivin View Post

We just have one 14 ft raft, a ducky, and a SUP for 5 people... so I'll be hauling all the gear

.... and possibly a passenger and a sup or ducky, at some point.
Iíve come to realize, that if I have a sup or ducky on my trip, there is a good chance the thing ends up on my raft for a while, because they get cold, tired, wet, etc.

Itís alway good to have some type of back up tank, even if it is a big tank, and a green tank or two. I have had propane tanks screw up on a trip before, and Iíve had people melt through my propane hose with the stove, so some type of redundancy is always good, even if it is just enough to make do.
Depending on what you plan to cook, redundancy, could just be your fire pan, and an emergency supply of fire wood or charcoal for starting a fire, and sticking a pot in it...

Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12

Denver, Colorado
Check out the propane shop at 44th and Wadsworth in Arvada/Wheatridge. They often have used 11lb tanks for sale and will take your name if they don't and call when they do. Great shop, I love my 11lb tank and won't do anything else.
jonseim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #13

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
I wonder if they have used 5lb'ers. I love my 5 for the same reason I love my 10(appropriate size for occasion). Unfortunately my 5lb(weekend) is not aluminum like my 10lb(for up to a week) and two 20lbs(for over a week and the Grand).

Long ago I've been in that store on Wadsworth for fittings not available elsewhere. Do they still stock a room full of propane paraphernalia?
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #14

Golden, Colorado
The regulators is what fails most often. Next are the gaskets/o-rings. Let me reverse that order.

If you still use regulators it is not a bad idea to carry a spare along with fittings and hose clamps appropriate to do the replacement in the field. I carry spare O-rings for the tank fitting in my repair kit and if necessary, stoves(my stoves tend not to need o-rings but if you own a Partner for example you should carry a rebuild kit).
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #15

Golden, Colorado
Does anyone ever refill those green 1 lb canisters. I know that refill kits exist. One person I talked to told me he refills but can't get them more than 1/2 full. Was he doing it wrong?
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #16

Denver, Colorado
Every time I’ve been there, they’ve got a whole shop full of stuff to make/repair just about anything. Call first to see what tanks they have, usually a full selection of new, but I like the used ones freshly painted for a little but less, I’m going to scratch them anyway.
jonseim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #17

Nederland, Colorado
Thanks! I will definitely give that Arvada Propane store a call to see if they have the 11 lb tank. It's not too far from my office.

Does this seem like sufficient redundancy? Should we get an additional O ring for the tank valve itself?

One of these splitters:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...8HYXC74B&psc=1

and two of these adapter hoses to hook up the 2 burner stove and the single burner at the same time:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...8HYXC74B&psc=1

If the splitter fails, just hook up one hose. If one of the hoses fails, just use the other hose.

Assuming we don't need an additional regulator. The tank will just be the valve that we'll hook the splitter and two adapter hoses to. The stove and single burner are both Coleman with dials to regulate the flow. In addition to the 11 lb tank, we'll bring 2-3 1lb cannisters in case of tank failure.
RidgeLivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #18

Nederland, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonseim View Post
Check out the propane shop at 44th and Wadsworth in Arvada/Wheatridge. They often have used 11lb tanks for sale and will take your name if they don't and call when they do. Great shop, I love my 11lb tank and won't do anything else.
Thanks for the recommendation! I ended up getting a new 11lb tank from AAA Propane at 44th and Wadsworth.

I went to Camping World initially because they confirmed they had 11lb tanks online and over the phone. "Our parts experts confirmed. We have them in the back." Now I see why that place gets such bad reviews. The dude looked in the back and said there were no 11lb propane tanks anywhere. Luckily AAA Propane was only ~10 minutes away from there.
RidgeLivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #19

Littlefun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt man View Post
Itís alway good to have some type of back up tank, even if it is a big tank, and a green tank or two. I have had propane tanks screw up on a trip before, and Iíve had people melt through my propane hose with the stove, so some type of redundancy is always good, even if it is just enough to make do.
Depending on what you plan to cook, redundancy, could just be your fire pan, and an emergency supply of fire wood or charcoal for starting a fire, and sticking a pot in it...
This all day! It doesn't take much room to bring along one or two 1# tanks for $5 ea as backup
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #20

Treasure Valley, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Bring a nice size tank, and a couple of back up tanks that are the correct size. Also bring a couple of stoves. But tanks arenice and the ones that are nice sized work best, like the 6.275# and the 6.3554# Not sure my tank sizes are correct!
NativeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote