Propane powered motor - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-21-2017   #1

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Propane powered motor

Looks like there's a new player in the propane powered category. I believe that Tohatsu is supposed to be a pretty reputable brand. Perhaps they will be a better alternative to the low quality Lehr.

https://onlineoutboards.com/tohatsu-...outboards.html

I have been thinking about getting a Lehr, but this changes things.

Any thoughts about what size shaft? I have an NRS frame but I need to buy the frame rails and motor mount and a bigger propane tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2017   #2

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Andy, did you end up getting the Tohatsu? If so, how is it?
Duckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017   #3

St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
Not Andy but here is my research on the Tohatsu. They are making one motor a 5 hp in 15, 20 , and 25 inch shaft. The 20 and 25 inch only come with the sail pro option which includes a high thrust prop and a 5 amp 12 volt charger. The motor is identical mechanically to the 6 hp with a change to the cylinder head and fuel supply system. The motor is supposed to run 5 hours on a 11 pound cylinder at wide open throttle. This is much less fuel efficient than a gasoline motor but there are trade offs in not having to use gasoline.
I have one on order in 20 inch shaft and will let you know when I get a chance to do a test run. I have the 6 hp gasoline version of this motor and have had no problems with it so was willing to take a chance on this new technology.
dsrtrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2017   #4

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
I haven't bought one.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017   #5

St. George, Utah
I have received myotor and the first run in a test tank is favorable. Compared to my gasoline motor of the same type there are much less exhaust odor and very little oil in the water of the test tank from the exhaust. After breaking in in on a boat I will report my impressions.
Old 09-01-2017   #6

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
Waiting for a review.
Roguelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017   #7

St. George, Utah
I have about 5 hours on the motor at this point and am still in the process of breaking it in. First impressions are that it runs about like a gasoline powered motor, it takes a few pulls when cold to start, needs to be choked for a while until it warms up.
The best thing is the lack of exhaust odor, much cleaner burning than a gas engine. The throttle response seemed a little tricky going from idle to running, it stalled a few times until I learned to increase it more quickly that my gas motor, other than that I am happy with the motor.
It does use more fuel that a gasoline engine I would estimate about twice the amount. I got about three hours of running from a small 5 pound propane cylinder, but that was running slow speeds during the break in period. I would guess you could get about 8 to 10 hours from a 11 pound twice that from a 20 pound at 1/2 throttle.
Old 09-16-2017   #8

St. George, Utah
Update on the Tohatsu Sail Pro 20" long shaft motor. I now have about 15 hours on the motor and have no problems with it. It does take a few more pulls to start when cold than a gasoline motor, usually about 6 to eight, but started and ran fine.
On a run from Lee's Ferry to the Glen Canyon dam and back it used about 10 pounds of propane pushing a 10' dinghy against the current upstream running between 1/2 and full throttle, and about 1/2 throttle downstream. I was loaded down pretty heavy with the dinghy. I am thinking that pushing a bunch of boats downstream at half throttle should use about one pound per hour.
Almost no exhaust odor is a big plus in my opinion.
I will have a report after a October Grand Canyon trip as we will use it to motor out below Mile 240 pushing a stack of rafts. I will post a report when I return.
Old 09-16-2017   #9

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Thank you for the beta. I look forward to the grand test. I am seriously looking at buying this. What size is it? Horse power?
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017   #10

St. George, Utah
They only make it in the Sail Pro model, 5 hp 15 20 or 25 inch shaft, I have the 20". The Sail Pro has a high thrust prop and battery charger standard. They are mostly selling it as a sailboat kicker motor.