Propane Outboards? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-15-2019   #1

Elko, Nevada
Paddling Since: 1980
Propane Outboards?

This is my first post to this site. I've been lurking for awhile soaking up all the great info on here!

I see its been about 6 months since the last post regarding propane outboards. I'm looking to buy a 5 to 6hp motor for a 15ft Williwaw, 20" shaft I think. I'm curious if the propane powered motors are still working out well for those who have them. Are there any starting issues with them in cooler weather, say 60 F or so?

Auminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auminor View Post
This is my first post to this site. I've been lurking for awhile soaking up all the great info on here!

I see its been about 6 months since the last post regarding propane outboards. I'm looking to buy a 5 to 6hp motor for a 15ft Williwaw, 20" shaft I think. I'm curious if the propane powered motors are still working out well for those who have them. Are there any starting issues with them in cooler weather, say 60 F or so?

I have a Tohatsu 25 inch shaft propane outboard that I've used on my Avon Pro, a 16 foot Hyside cat, and my 18 foot Briggs Dory, all in all it's got about 20 hours on it and I have nothing but praise. No gas smell, quieter than a 2 stroke, and a little quieter than a Honda 5 HP, couple of pulls to fire it initially, then starts on the first pull after that. Did have an issue firing it on it's first run, took about 3 minutes of pulling to start it, but since then it fires right up. They aren't cheap like the Lehr, so you DO get what you pay for. Highly recommend the Tohatsu !!
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
I have a Tohatsu 25 inch shaft propane outboard that I've used on my ... 18 foot Briggs Dory...
Did you have to modify the transom to make this work?
markhusbands is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhusbands View Post
Did you have to modify the transom to make this work?
My boat has a removable transom, there's a 3 inch lip when you take the high board off, the prop is well in the water with the boat trimmed properly.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5

Denver, Colorado
The Tohatsus look nice. I'm also aware that Mercury is coming out with some propane models.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6

Salida, Colorado
Yep, that they are, and while I haven't seen one up close and personal, it looks a LOT like a Tohatsu painted black with Mercury decals. Interesting that they only come in 15 or 20 inch shafts, the Tohatsu 25 inch shaft was a big selling point for me, cause you can always get the prop out of the water if it's too deep, but with a short shaft motor on a raft, I've had to move people to the rear of the boat to keep the prop in the water far enough so it doesn't cavitate..
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7

Denver, Colorado
Looks like Mercury is doing a 25" now:

https://onlineoutboards.com/collecti...tboard-motor-1

25" seems like a no-brainer for a whitewater boat.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
The Tohatsus look nice. I'm also aware that Mercury is coming out with some propane models.
The Mercury is a Tohatsu with different paint. Tohatsu makes all Mercury outboards less than 25 or 40 Hp.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeinthewater View Post
The Mercury is a Tohatsu with different paint. Tohatsu makes all Mercury outboards less than 25 or 40 Hp.

Well, there ya go. My eyesight isn't failing me in my old age...
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Looks like Mercury is doing a 25" now:

https://onlineoutboards.com/collecti...tboard-motor-1

25" seems like a no-brainer for a whitewater boat.

And they are about the same price as the Tohatsu too, wonder if Mercury will stock parts for the Tohatsu, would open up a whole lot of service locations if you ever needed service.