Proloks nex-gen II - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-17-2019   #21

Calgary, Alberta
Spider:

Thanks for the offer but I'm in Canada.

I have no problem working with the gear and sanding down the edges a bit I would never complain about ... But I have to admit that I'm not as comfortable with the idea of the end user having to redo the welds... That part of the system is beyond my handyman skills and should really be dialed when I make the purchase.

cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2019   #22

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho_h2o View Post
Definitely not a problem with the install- heat shrink was super tight and uniform. Are you running the oar rite? If so, I'd expect you wouldn't have any problems.

I'm inclined to think it might be a technique thing but I guess I won't know until it warms up and I try them again. I feather a lot on every stroke, like much more than 90*, often not taking the blade out of the water. I also feather while pushing to control exact amount of power into blade, high brace with oars and other weird things. Not something most people probably do so maybe not easy to replicate problem for others. I've used posi lockers for many years and never had a problem. They really expand the possibilities as far as merging kayak strokes like the ability to scull, boof and brace to rubber.
I fully understand your technique. I do the same. With a full capture pro lok you can really get your swerve on. Lots of range of motion will change how you look at rowing.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019   #23

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupido76 View Post
Spider:

Thanks for the offer but I'm in Canada.

I have no problem working with the gear and sanding down the edges a bit I would never complain about ... But I have to admit that I'm not as comfortable with the idea of the end user having to redo the welds... That part of the system is beyond my handyman skills and should really be dialed when I make the purchase.
I agree. I also feel I should give a completely honest review of this product and that is why I mentioned this issue. I would not like to talk someone into, what I believe is the best oarlock design, without mentioning what I have personally seen fail on several occasions. It is easily resolved and they are still a bargain in my book.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2019   #24

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
I agree. I also feel I should give a completely honest review of this product and that is why I mentioned this issue. I would not like to talk someone into, what I believe is the best oarlock design, without mentioning what I have personally seen fail on several occasions. It is easily resolved and they are still a bargain in my book.
Appreciated... thanks for your input.
Old 02-28-2019   #25

Calgary, Alberta
Got my nex-gen II locks today... Thanks spider.

What do people carry for spare parts on these... An entire lock?

I was toying with the idea of getting one of these as a dumbed down and simple backup plan: https://cascaderivergear.com/shop/ex...ock-w-spacers/

The reason for that one, specifically, is to try to get the oar height the same as that of the pro-lok. No welds or parts, so a simple and robust, if not elegant fix in case of a failure.

Thoughts?
Old 03-18-2019   #26

Hillsboro, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
I know this thread is a bit old, but I did order a new set of ProLoks last week.

My original set are the origins OGs. So a bit stiffer than the Powerflex. My new oars are what hes calling an OG plus. Much stiffer than the original OGs. He went to a stiffer oar because of feed back he received from the rafting guys.

Ill report back after I get a few trips on them...
Beer Waggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019   #27

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Waggin View Post
I know this thread is a bit old, but I did order a new set of ProLoks last week.

My original set are the origins OGs. So a bit stiffer than the Powerflex. My new oars are what hes calling an OG plus. Much stiffer than the original OGs. He went to a stiffer oar because of feed back he received from the rafting guys.

Ill report back after I get a few trips on them...
Are you talking about the oar locks or oars?
Old 03-18-2019   #28

Hillsboro, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupido76 View Post
Are you talking about the oar locks or oars?
Whoops, oars. Might have put this on the wrong thread...
Beer Waggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
We reweld the post to U connection before sending them out. I recommend doing the same.

Spider, do you resell the pro-Loks after welding them? If so, how do I order a 3?

Thanks
espomtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #30

Calgary, Alberta
Update:

Tried them for the first time today and I like them overall.

Wasn't able to take full advantage of the gimbal action because I was on a shallow run and didn't need to dig the oars deep... But I do really appreciate that I can move my oar towers out 1" to change my rowing geometry and I don't have to worry about the angle the oar is going to make in the lock and whether I'll pinch... It will just work.

I bought cheap Carlisles and the slide freely in the pro loks. I'm not using the shrink wrap because they're just Carlisles.

The oar right in the locks feels solid. There's maybe 3/16" of play forward and back inside the lock but it feels secure.

The oar right is 2" long so you need to pull the oars in a decent amount to feather, and I think I'm going to try flipping them around to just use them as stoppers with no oar rights and see how that goes, which I expect will be fine. If I like that better then I'll probably go for the full capture version if I buy another set for my other boat.

I bought a long shaft standard oar lock (from cascaderivergear.com) for a spare for my repair kit because I didn't want to have to buy a pair of pro loks and I want my backup to be tried and true tech until I'm super comfortable with these long term.