Problems inflating dropstitch floor - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-12-2018   #1
JEHolton

Line Tree, Colorado
Problems inflating dropstitch floor

I have a new nrs outlaw 120d raft with the dropstitch floor that i can 't seem to inflate till its hard. I have an electric pump that inflates the main tubes ok, but can't get the floor hard, so that after it has been in the river a few hours its pretty squshy. Does it take a super pump to fully inflate these floors or do i have a problem.
Thanks, jack

Jeholton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2018   #2

Problems inflating dropstitch floor

Not sure what pressure your electric pump inflates to but I'm pretty sure the drops stich floor takes quite a bit more pressure to inflate then the rest of your boat you might want to read the instructions. You might need a higher pressure pump to inflate the floor than the rest of your boat.
mkashzg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018   #3

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
What electric pump are you using. When you check the pressure what are the tubes and what is the floor.
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2018   #4
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
no electric pump is going to get a dropstitch floor to pressure. An air compressor will, but you don't need to go that extreme. I Inflate mine with a 1.5HP shopvac then top the floor off with a barrel pump. (I inflate my floor to about 10PSI the shopvac can only put about 2.5psi in it. and my big 3HP shopvac at the house is only capable of 3psi)

long story short, bring a barrel pump with you.
Old 08-13-2018   #5

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Generally not a good idea to use any electric pump to top off floors or rafts...they're made for high volume, not high pressure. A couple will push 5+psi, but most only go 2-3psi, and even running them at extended periods at +3psi will prematurely shorten their lifespan.

Hand pumps go 5-10psi easily. (although a 6" barrel takes a LOT of muscle/weight to push that pressure with its big piston!)
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018   #6

Denver, Colorado
I'm able to get my Outlaw 140 floor to about 8psi with my normal barrel pump. I've stopped trying to get it any firmer than that. Just doesn't seem necessary for my purposes, and in lower water I've started leaving it more around 5psi. I get the whole boat to shape with a mini shop vac (I have to run it with valves wide open) then I bring everything up to pressure with the barrel.
markhusbands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018   #7
JEHolton

Line Tree, Colorado
Thanks all, sounds like its not a problem with the floor, just my muscles. Any suggestions on especially good barrel pumps, brand or specs?
Jack
Jeholton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018   #8

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Large diameter pumps move more air but are harder to push. Small diameter pumps don't move as much volume but are capable of generating more pressure for the same felt pumping effort.

Pretty hard to beat a K-pump for a top-off pump. They're 2.5" dia.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018   #9

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
I'll second MT4Runner. Inflate with any type of electric pump but top off with a barrel pump. I have a 4" Carlson and a K pump. I top off my round boat with the Carlson and my Phat Cat with the Kpump. Its the only way you'll get it as tight as you'd like. The dropstitch stuff can handle some relatively high pressure!
I use a cheap old 12v coleman mattress inflator from Walmart to blow my boats up quickly.
missiongravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018   #10

SLC, Utwah
Sevylor makes a 12v pump that you set digitally to the psi you are looking for. When it reaches your set PSI it shuts itself off. It goes up to 15 psi. I have one and it has worked fine for a couple years. Just used it on an NRS board last week at the Main Salmon put-in. I got stares from the people who had just pumped up theirs with a hand pump.
AndTheLab is offline   Reply With Quote