Pro-Loks Defective ProMax Blades - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Unread 3 Days Ago   #1

pojoaque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1972
Pro-Loks Defective ProMax Blades

I bought two full sets of Pro-Lok oars, ProMax blades, and oarlocks and I loved the function and light weight. However, 3 out of the 4 blades developed bubbles where the outer layer separated from the inner support. The blades were all less than 2 years old, stored inside and had seen only light use and were within the warranty period.

I called Dan at Pro-Loks. Dan immediately said he knew exactly what I was talking about, that he had a "bad batch", that he was well aware of the problem, and would send me replacements. He said no need to send picture because he knew exactly what I was talking about. He said they should be OK but advised against using them on a big trip, like the Grand because he wasn't sure if they would hold up.
That was more than 6 months ago and it has been nothing but promises and excuses since then. For a couple of months, he's been saying he has them in stock and will send them out "real soon" but it never happens.
I had posted positive reviews before but I don't want to mislead people so I am following up. I think Dan has some good ideas and nice designs but until his quality level and customer service improve, I certainly would not recommend them.
Thanks for listening! I can send pix of the defect I am talking about if it would be helpful.

semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 1 Day Ago   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Sorry to hear! And good on ya for speaking up about this stuff to the community since no customer should ever be lead-on by a company esp by faulty products that may endanger you. Any ‘defect’ is a problem indeed and since they didn’t immediately ask for them back then send you new ones with many apologies let alone a refund after 6 months means they are just warrantied pieces of crap. Maybe they’re good only for drifboats on flatwater fishing trips, who knows, but at this point you’d be crazy to do anything other than dump'm. Guess from this comes two lessons; if a product sounds too good to be true from a company without a long long reputation or are not sold by many outfitters prob is, and second is maybe there’s good reason why say Sawyers cost and weight what they do along with the legions that swears by them. Their new Bandits sure are svelt and ya can’t go wrong either with their tried-and-true pro-lo…ahem oarlocks. Feel free to post pics though, since maybe others who stumble across this then think twice about buying them and maybe this company will learn what's really "hand-made" is a good reputation you stand behind.
waterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Day Ago   #3

pojoaque, New Mexico
hey Waterdude, I love Sawyers also. Did really like this setup and I can accept that things go wrong sometime but to not make things right after lots of months isn't acceptable. Dan has had some rough stuff going on and I get that, but at some point the promises start to mean nothing. If he makes it right, I will repost here to say so. It's weird though, he said it was a bad batch yet it affected 3 out of 4 blades that I had bought at two different times. I don't know anything about carbon fiber construction so I don't know what that means. Still really like his oar lock systems which are totally free action in all directions. In fact, they're the main reason I went with his set up. And the oars have a great feel to them. But, yeah, the blades are a disappointment. Luckily, I can buy some standard blades and they'll fit ($$).
Picture attached of the delam.

weird, the site is not letting me upload the jpg, it says the png file extension is wrong or something like that. any ideas what i'm doing wrong?it's a jpg file under 0.5 mb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 1 Day Ago   #4

Ellensburg, Washington
Paddling Since: 1982
There are several boat manufacturers that use an alternative version (same concept) with great results, primarily aimed at the drift boat/fishing customer, along with the Bandit oar.
GOTY2011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Day Ago   #5

Calgary, Alberta
I've heard that delays are par for the course with Dan, unfortunately.

Do you have the oar shafts as well? If so what are your thoughts?

I have and quite like my pro-loks and am/was intrigued by his oar shafts and blades.
cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Hours Ago   #6

pojoaque, New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupido76 View Post
I've heard that delays are par for the course with Dan, unfortunately.

Do you have the oar shafts as well? If so what are your thoughts?

I have and quite like my pro-loks and am/was intrigued by his oar shafts and blades.

I really loved the performance and feel of everything. I got the more flexible shafts because this was on a 12' paddle cat that I built a rowing frame for and the flex was perfect. If I were using them on a full-size boat with gear, I'd go with the stiffer shafts probably. Too bad about the quality issues and lack (so far) of warranty coverage. Also too bad he doesn't build them to the same diameter of other standard oars like sawyers and carlisles because that would make them much more versatile.

Tags
blade